Nose tip becomes even more bulbous at day 7 (Photo)

Hi, i had bulbous tip. My ear cartilage was used for nose bridge and tip augmentation. After day 5 tapes were removed. My nose is much higher but tip is even more bulbous than before. I clearly told my surgeon i want a refined pointed sharp tip. I dont know what technique he used such as suturing or cutting off some lateral lower cartilage. I have been told to use warm compression on my eyes and nose to reduce the swelling. Sometimes i use plastic bag filled with warmed water to put on my face.

Too soon to judge your results

I know that it is frustrating and scary to not have the results that you want right away, but it is way too early to judge your nose. It's still swollen and your body is still healing. For now, be patient and kind to yourself. It can take anywhere from 3-6 months for the swelling to subside. Things will improve. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty recovery

Your nose and tip can definitely swell after the tape and cast are removed. If there is any concern you should discuss it with your surgeon so they can examine it. Don't judge the aesthetics this early on, give it some time to heal. good luck.

Jeffrey Jumaily, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question and photographs.

It is important to consult with your surgeon about any questions or concerns you may have so they can give you a physical examination. You are extremely early in your recovery period and your nose will begin healing and changing, this will continue over the course of a year to year and a half. Swelling can cause the appearance of unevenness or enlargement. It takes 6 months for 90% of the swelling to resolve after a rhinoplasty. During this waiting period, several treatment options can reduce the swelling. First, post-operative taping is imperative to decrease swelling and mold the shape of the nose. This can be performed for a minimum of 2 weeks with recommendations commonly for 3 months. Second, a short course of oral steroids (Medrol dose pack) can be beneficial in the early stages to decrease swelling and pain. Third, I commonly use a dilute solution of Kenalog with Marcaine to decrease swelling of the nasal tip. If after 12-18 months, you are still unhappy with your results, I would contact your surgeon or a board certified plastic surgeon for a revision.
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon