Is it possible to do labiaplasty right after my c-section delivery on the same day?

Labiaplasty after C-section

Hello,It is not advisable to undergo labiaplasty right after a C-section surgery. Pregnancy leads to hormonal changes of the labia and delivery causes further acute hemodynamic stress to your body. Undergoing elective labiaplasty is best reserved for at least 6-9 months post delivery when your body has recovered from the changes and has stabilized. Regards,Dr. Pedy Ganchi                                                                                                                                                     Village Plastic Surgery

Ridgewood Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty with C-Section

If you see the others' answers about your body's response to pregnancy and your delivery, even a c-section, it may be best to allow your labia to recover for a little while from your pregnancy before planning a labiaplasty. Much like breasts and breast surgery, how a woman’s #labia or #vagina will respond to one or multiple births is impossible to predict. At best, there will be little changes in the labial area. The vaginal canal is likely to be stretched and have more redundant mucosa. It is possible to have tears in the perineal region or actual incisions by the obstetrician with scar tissue. 

Labiaplasty on the same day as a C-section

A labiaplasty would not be a good idea on the day of your delivery because several changes occur during pregnancy that could complicate this surgery: At the end of pregnancy, the labia are often swollen or engorged because of pressure on the pelvic veins from the baby in your uterus. Some women even develop varicose veins in the labial area.

During pregnancy, total blood volume is also dramatically increased. This would make labiaplasty surgery more difficult, and bleeding as well as the likelihood of hematoma complications would be increased. 6 weeks after delivery would be a safer timeframe for labiaplasty surgery.

In most cases in my experience giving birth will not undo your #labiaplastyResults . With the aging process a minor touch up surgery could always be done.

Labiaplasty at time of C-section

Congratulations on your upcoming delivery!   You must be so excited to be increasing your family.   There are many physiologic changes to your body during pregnancy.  A very important change is the marked increase in the size of blood vessels in the pelvis. Indeed, many pregnant women have very prominent varicose veins of the vulva during pregnancy.   This increase in size of the blood vessels means that there is more risk for excess blood loss during any surgical procedure of the lower abdomen or pelvis during pregnancy or in the immediate 6-12 week postpartum time frame.   You will already have some blood loss at the time of the Cesarean section.   You need to preserve your blood volume to improve your post C-section recovery,, as anemia (low blood count) will contribute to fatigue, decreased breast milk production and increase your risk for post operative infection and poor wound healing.   Also, the vulva can be enlarged from  swelling and increased vascularity of pregnancy, so there is the possibility of removing too much tissue and having a less than optimal result.   The best plan would be to recover fully from the C-section, letting your tissues return to a non-pregnant state,  and then assess the situation and proceed after 6 months. Best wishes!

Labiaplasty after C-section

Thank you for your question.  I would not recommend having a labiaplasty performed on the same day as your C-section. Firstly, you would want a board certified plastic surgeon to perform the procedure for optimal results and secondly, you would want to give your body at least 4-6 months to fully recover from your pregnancy and C-section. Labiaplasty is a quick procedure that can be done under local anesthesia at our office with little to no downtime; therefore I wouldn’t see much benefit from having it done at the same time. I hope this helps.
Best of luck in your endeavors!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty and C-Section

It is possible to do the labiaplasty at the same time as a C-section, but I don't recommend it.  In my practice I am able to do the labiaplasty under local anesthesia with minimal discomfort and a fast recovery. There is not a great advantage to performing it at the same time as a C-section.

David Stoker, MD

Thank you for your question.  While anything is possible it is not recommended.  There are many safety issues that need to be considered.  Most credible surgeons would advise waiting until one has recovered and healed from C-section surgery and ensured the patient and infant are doing well.  Give yourself at least six months to recover and always seek a board certified physician to do the labiaplasty.  Good luck.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty after c-section

No, you should not do a labiaplasty after a c-section. During pegnancy your tissues enlarge and swell. You should wait at least 6 months for the changes of pregnancy to resolve and then do the procedure.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

Can I have a labiaplasty at the same time as my c-section delivery?

Dear Pr8788,It is not recommended to have a labiaplasty at the time of a scheduled delivery (cesarean or vaginal) because the blood volume in your body is almost double and this puts you at risk for hemorrhaging.  Also, the extra fluid your body has been holding on to will release at delivery and you can have excessive swelling of the vulva (labial area) as well as hands, feet and face which can distort the tissues and makes it harder to get good cosmetic results.  It is best to wait about 3 months after delivery to schedule your labiaplasty.  To read more about labiaplasty, please visit the link below.I hope this information is helpful.Sincerely,Troy Robbin Hailparn, MD, FACOGCosmetic Gynecology Center of San Antonio

Troy Hailparn, MD
San Antonio OB/GYN