Feel the fat graft (Photo)

Hi, i had fat graf from inner thigh injected to tear troughs, upper cheeks and nasolabial lines. At day 7 after i washed my face, i gently touched it with my finger tip. I could actually feel the entire fat graft where exactly be injected. Isnt it should be soft? I m still having bruises, the tear troughs look overfilled=( When i laugh, i cant really extend my muscle especially my upper cheeks and tear troughs hurt while nasolabial lines are fine.are these all normal? Thanks in advance!

Postop fat transfer concerns

If you are only at 7 days postop, yes those things you mention can all be just part of the healing process. Hang in there and discuss these concerns with your surgeon. If still present at 1-2 months postop (rarely sooner), your surgeon might consider steroid injections, but this is of course at their discretion and most likely this will not be necessary. 

Hope that helps and best wishes, 

Dr. Donath 

Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat Graft

Thank you for posting your question. At 7 days after the procedure, it is normal and expected for you to have bruises and swelling at and near areas of fat grafting. What you felt with your finger tip is likely hardness caused by swelling. After any procedure, it takes months for the body to readjust and reshape itself. On average, half of the transferred fat is eventually reabsorbed by the body, so what you are seeing right now is not the final result. Be patient and keep following up with your physician to address any discomfort or concern. Best of luck.

Jan Zemplenyi, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lumps in bruising early after fat transfer to the face

fat transfer to the face usually results in very noticeable swelling and bruising especially around the eyes. It's very common to have unevenness or even to be able to feel fat, bruising, or collagen underneath the skin in the first few weeks. You're most likely just fine. Go follow up with your surgeon closey.   You most likely will be fine and you won't start to look really good for another few weeks. A little bit of swelling will continue for up to 2 to 3 months but they are presentable after 2 to 3 weeks. 

Chase Lay MD

I love fat transfer 

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat Transfer And Tear Troughs

This is a very good question.  This is a very difficult area to fill in with fat.  I have been doing it since 1994.  This is the perfect solution for the problem.  When I lecture to other surgeons, I caution them to be very careful when treating this area.  it is fraught with complications.  The good news is, if you think it is overfilled, It can be fixed.  However, please make sure you go to a very good surgeon.  I have fixed this area many times from other surgeons and it can be done should it require that.  But proceed with caution. Also, please give it time for swelling.  Eventually you should not be able to feel the fat at all in your face, if it is perfomed aedequately.  I hope you get the results you desire.

Warmest regards,

Dr. Walton Montegut

Walton Montegut, MD
Newport Beach Physician

Give it some more time

Thanks for the great question and the photo. At just 7 days after surgery it's difficult to tell exactly what is going on. You may still have some inflammation for the surgery. Fat grafting can leave patients with quite a bit of swelling for a week or two after surgery. It may also be an oil cyst which is forming. Sometimes messaging these cysts helps them to go away. If you are concerned about anything, I would go back to see your surgery to ask them what they think. I hope this helps and best of luck!

~Dr. Sieber