Is it possible to have a TT with minimal scarring? (Photo)

I am 40 years old and the mother of 4. I had twins that left my belly covered with stretch marks and loose skin. I'd like to have a mommy makeover, but I am concerned that the scar from a TT would be worse than the stretch marks. Any thoughts, experiences, regrets?

Tummy Tuck

Hi there Foxy,

The scarring from a tummy tuck is generally very well tolerated and is generally a very good scar.

The key point is to keep it as low as possible so it will be hidden in clothing and swimwear.

The length of the scar is not really possible to change too much. You can try and make it shorter but then you often end up with a dog ear or compromising and making the scar higher, which I think is worse.

The benefit for you is that the skin in the upper part of your abdomen is fairly good and most of the skin that has the stretch marks will be removed as part of a tummy tuck.

Overall my opinion is that the scar from a TT will be a good trade for your loose skin and stretch marks and you will be better off.

Hope that helps

Best wishes

Tummy tuck scar

The scar from a tummy tuck will take about one year to fade. A tummy tuck will remove the skin and its stretch marks from your belly button down to your pubic area. The scar is a horizontal scar that is typically well hidden in your underwear/swimwear line. The scar is a tradeoff for the nicer contour you will have. If you are very concerned about the scar, I would advise not doing a tummy tuck. Consult with a few plastic surgeons in person for a good exam.

William Bruno, MD

Tummy tuck scar

The tummy tuck scar is usually located very low and heals well, fading gradually over time.  It is often hidden quite easily under undergarments or bathing suit bottoms.  The tummy tuck provides a tighter, flatter appearing abdomen.  Most find the results from the tummy tuck to be preferable to their pre-surgical look, despite the scar.

Camille Cash, MD

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a tummy tuck with liposuction. This can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. With good surgical technique, you could have an outstanding result. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Tummy Tuck with Minimal Scarring

Abdominoplasty will address loose skin, excess fat and muscle weakness “diastasis recti”. This weakness tends to enlarge the waist in many women. After pregnancy if your belly button has a bulge or sticks out, it may be due to an umbilical hernia. Both of these conditions are corrected during a Tummy Tuck, which will bring in your waist line. On the other hand if only a small amount of skin is redundant in the lower tummy you may only need a fairly simple “mini-tuck” rather than the more extensive standard Abdominoplasty.

There are different incision options that can affect scarring and your best bet is to discuss those with your surgeon during consultation in order to make sure that the results of your TT will appear as you wish. Best of luck to you.

Excellent candidate for a tummy tuck

Based on these photographs you appear to be an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck with muscle reconstruction. This will flatten the muscles, reconstruct your core muscular corset, revise the belly button, eliminate the stretch marks from the belly button to the pubic hairline, and remove the loose skin and fat of the anterior abdomen.

Scar from mommy Mommy makeover/ tummy tuck

The scar for this operation is positioned for maximal concealment in the groin creases where it will be hidden by undergarments and a bikini bottom. The majority of my patients are very happy that the skin is left snugger after surgery. Unless you possess a history of keloid scars, then you should expect an inconspicuous scar once it finally settles.

Tad Grenga, MD, FACS
Norfolk Plastic Surgeon

Sear Management

Best Scar Management is important to minimize or completely hide from view, the telltale signs of your surgery—namely, scars. Both you and your surgeon want you to have the most minimal scarring possible. There are many possible causes for scars that are enlarged or not healing well. Unsightly scars are most commonly due to genetics, underlying medical conditions, or improper scar/wound care. The last part is very important and patients can make a noticeable difference in their scars’ appearance by following best scar management practices.

Dr Derby

The scar of a Tummy Tuck is positioned low in the area where your undergarments will always cover. It can be as thin as a cesarean scar. The benefits of a tighter abdomen and skinnier appearance, most of the time, outweigh the fears of the scar. Best of luck 

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Is it possible to have a TT with minimal scarring?

If you believe the incision from the Abdominoplasty would be worse than the stretch marks then perhaps you are not a candidate for these operations. Although the incision sites are permanent and will never be completely invisible - the benefit they allow in most opinion- is worth it. As a matter of fact- in our Practice we require a complete acceptance of the scars and a commitment to the improvement they render.