I am 290 pounds female and 50 yrs old. I want to do cool sculpting. How effective is it?

Coolsculpting on 290 lb person

Hi and thank you for your question.  The coolsculpting machine works well on that fat bulge that diet and exercise cannot get rid of.  You will not see the scale move but will fit better in your clothes.  It is ideal for patients who are at their ideal weight.

El Paso Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting Most Effective for Good Candidates

CoolSculpting is a very effective treatment option for those who are good candidates. A good candidate for this procedure is close to their ideal body weight, though they have small pockets of stubborn unwanted fat that don't respond to diet or exercise. It's not a solution for weight loss. Based on your question, it does not sound like you fit the description of a good candidate at this point in time. 

Weight and coolsculpting

Coolsculpting is ideal for areas where you can’t lose the excess fat despite being at the right weight. It is not meant for general weight loss.

Ariel Ostad, MD

CoolSculpting® can be very effective in the right candidates.

Much like liposuction, CoolSculpting® delivers the best results on men and women who are already at or are very near to an ideal, healthy target weight. CoolSculpting® is not a weight loss procedure, and won’t help you shed a significant amount of weight. Instead, it’s best for fine-tuning your shape by eliminating problem spots that diet and exercise don’t seem to help, such as the love handles or a belly paunch. If your BMI is in the overweight or obese range, it’s best to try and lose weight the old-fashioned way first before considering any cosmetic procedure, even a nonsurgical one like CoolSculpting®.

Gary Motykie, MD

Coolsculpting and body weight

Because Coolsculpting only decreases fat by 20-25%, it usually works best if you are close to your ideal body weight. All treatments have risks and benefits and you can consult in person with a Coolsculpting practice. 

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting is best used to improve shape... Not for weight loss

Hi there-

As much as I would love to tell you what I think you want to hear, it is important that you understand that Coolsculpting is best used to help patients improve their shape when they have collected problem areas of subcutaneous fatty tissue. For patients who have a more generalized problem with excess tissue and weight, the better option is to pursue a safe (possibly medically managed) weight loss program.

Coolsculpting

Coolsculpting is not for weight loss.  It is a contouring technology.  My recommendation would be to explore medical or surgical weight loss options first.  best wishes.

Patient Selection

Coolsculpting is a very effective nonsurgical fat reduction procedure. However, patient selection is key. To determine if you are a candidate, consult with a board certified physician who can provide surgical and coolsculpting options. A weight loss program or procedure may be necessary before you are a candidate for coolsculpting.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Coolsculpting is very effective but not the right treatment for you

ALshair coolsculpting is a very effective treatment for fat reduction.  I have had it myself. Each cycle produces a 22%reduction of fat in the treated area.  It is not a weight loss treatment though.  Ideal candidates eat right,  exercise and are  usually within 20 pounds of ideal weight.  While you will have the same reduction per cycle it may  not be appreciable at this time. 

Mark Berkowitz, MD
Sterling Heights Oculoplastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting at 290 Pounds

CoolSculpting is not a weight loss treatment. It is more of a body sculpting procedure to treat areas of stubborn fat that are resistant to diet and exercise. The ideal candidates for the CoolSculpting procedure are those individuals who are within 10% of their ideal body weight. If you are looking to lose a large amount of weight then this is not the treatment for you. You should consider dieting and exercise. If you reach the point to where you are at or near your ideal body weight with stubborn areas of fat remaining, then you may be a candidate for CoolSculpting. Hope this helps answer your question!