I had a lip lift yesterday and expected more lifting. Could it be that as the swelling will go down my lip will be more raised?

Disappointed in lip lift

If your only procedure was a lip lift (and not concomitant fat grafting to the lips, for example), there shouldn't be all that much swelling - even after only one day.  When I perform lip lifts, my eye is always toward what I'm leaving behind.  Am I leaving enough lip so that it doesn't look too short?It may be that your surgeon was overly conservative in his resection.  Based on your anatomy, he may have left just the right amount of lip to keep things from looking overdone.  The good news is that you can always take a little more.  It's very hard to fix a lip that is made too short!

Reston Plastic Surgeon

Assessing lip lift result

Thank you for asking about your lip lift.
  • I am sorry you feel disappointed -]
  • Usually the swelling after surgery is marked, making the lip look too big.
  • That said, I have had an occasional patient in whom the swelling makings the lip drop - and it looks better as time goes on.
  • One can't have an opinion about your situation without before/after photos, knowing the measurements before surgery and how much tissue was removed.
  • However  - it is much better to have too little than too much result - more can always be done.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Lip lift result

Difficult to tell without pictures, however your lip will be swollen for a period of time after surgery making it look like less of a result. Allow time for appropriate healing and things should look better.