Is this what a male tummy tuck scar should look like 1 year out? (Photo)

I went from 305# to 165-170# and had the obligatory loose skin. Had an "extended abdominoplasty" on 10/23/13. I'm one year out today. I'm not pleased with the scar. It's too pink, the left side is higher than the right and there is a jag just to the left and diagonally down from the belly button. I'm interested for thoughts on this. I'm very active, do Pilates/yoga/core 5x per week, run 20-30 miles per week so very active.

Scar after male abdominoplasty/tummy tuck

Congratulations on the weight loss. You really look great.

I see where you are coming from in terms of your concern about the scar. Ideally, it would be a bit lower so it wouldn't show while wearing shorts and no shirt. That's not to say your surgeon didn't accomplish a lot, especially without seeing your pre-operative photos. Still, I think it is fair to return to a surgeon for a scar revision. Alternatively, Laser is an option to make it somewhat less visible. 

Not where it would have ideally been placed

Your scar should be lower than your underwear line so that it's hidden.  Scars can always ride up during the healing process, but usually not as much as yours has.  Talk with your surgeon about trying to lower it which may require doing the dissection over again and either floating or changing your belly button location again.  I think it's a fair criticism that you have.

Scar

Thanks for the question and photo and congratulations on your weight loss, you look great. I think there is room for improvement with the quality and position of your scar. I would return to your plastic surgeon to review scar revision. Good luck!

Jeffrey Umansky, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Male Tummy Tuck Scar

You would likely benefit from scar revision.  Sometimes this is needed, especially if you had any delayed wound healing.

To be sure, see two or more experienced, board-certified Plastic Surgeons for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS