Should I lose weight? (Photo)

I've always had a belly throughout my entire life. I've lost weight in the past, but it seems to come back. My surgery is scheduled for 3 weeks from now...should I be trying to drop a few? I'm 5'08" and 175 pounds.

Weight loss and surgery

Based on your numbers and your photos, I don't think you need to worry about losing weight prior to your surgery.  As others here have said, the most important thing is for you to be relatively stable in your weight around the time of surgery.  Most people have weight fluctuations of 5-10 lbs here and there and that is not a problem, but if you are planning on losing a lot of weight it is best to do that before surgery.  You look as though you are right in the sweet spot as far as being an great candidate for your upcoming surgery- good luck!

DrDerby

Thank you for your question. I would try to maintain the weight and the healthy diet , eat lots of veggies and add some vitamin supplements until 5 days before surgery. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Stable weight more important than losing wt for surgery

• It is better to keep your weight stable prior to abdominoplasty.  Although your immediate result may look great if you shed pounds, it will not be as nice if you put weight back on.  Always best to be at a stable weight.
  • Dr Rodger Shortt is a plastic surgeon in Oakville who cares for patients from Oakville, Toronto, Mississauga, Hamilton, Burlington, Georgetown, Milton and the GTA.  He strives to be the best plastic surgeon and is one of the few plastic surgeons in Canada with 5-star ratings on RealSelf, RateMD and Ontario Doctor Review.  He is the director of cosmetic surgery training and an assistant clinical professor at McMaster University.

Rodger Shortt, FRCSC

Weight loss preop

You are not significantly overweight and realistically you won't be able to get more than 5 or 6 pounds off in a safe manner in 3 weeks time.  Try to relax and continue a healthy lifestyle for the best result.  Good luck, Jane

Abdominoplasty

It sounds like you have the right frame of mind for the great result. Dropping a few pounds will not hurt. However, if you are with in a stable range of weight it will not necessarily affect the outcome. Eating a healthy diet and being a good physical shape will make you recovery much easier and much better. You are on the right track! Don't worry sounds like you will do well!

Good luck!

Mark T. Boschert, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Losing Weight Before Surgery

Thank you for your question. Getting to your goal weight before surgery can help with achieving longer-lasting surgical results. However, as your surgery date approaches, it is better to focus on eating healthy and continuing to stay active. Also, I recommend avoiding crash-diets before surgery so that your nutrition is optimized towards healing after surgery. Good luck with your procedure. 

Should I lose weight?

Hello Liz and thanks for your question. I see you have a BMI of 26.6 and based on that number you're an ideal candidate. I don't believe you need to lose weight. However, your plastic surgeon should have made a recommendation about losing weight and other ways to prepare yourself for this surgery. 

Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD

Losing weight prior to a tummy tuck

Thank you for your question.   It is important to be at a stable goal weight prior to surgery that will be easy for you to maintain longterm.   Large amounts of weight loss or gain after surgery are likely to take away from your surgical result and should be avoided.    I often find the best results come at a lighter weight.   So if realistic to lose and maintain, then I say go for it.   All the best.

Paul S. Gill, MD

Should I lose weight before tummy tuck surgery?

Thank you for the question.   Generally speaking, it is always best to achieve long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with  body contouring surgery. Doing so, will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation, and will decrease chances that additional surgery will become necessary subsequently. In my practice, I do not ask specific patients to achieve a specific weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. I simply ask patients to achieve a long-term stable weight where he/she feels comfortable and does not expect significant fluctuation postoperatively.   Best wishes.

Should I lose weight?

You will likely get a very nice result without weight loss.