Will an insurance company ever allow the surgeon to do a mastopexy along with an authorized reduction mammoplasty?

I am sure I meet the designated criteria for reduction. I don't believe, however, that the reduction procedure itself will provide the aesthetic results I hope for. Is it ever acceptable for a patient to self-pay for an add-on procedure (the lift) under those circumstances? I can only assume if small implants were necessary to achieve top fullness, an insurance company would reject the reduction outright. I am 5'5" 140 pounds and wear a 38 DDD bra. I have grade 4 pitosis and am 54 years old.

A lift, Mastopexy, is generally always included in the breast reduction surgery.  I would make sure to discuss this with the board certified plastic surgeon of your choosing and make sure that you and he/she are both on the same page as far as expectations. 

Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Good news.....the reduction, by definition, includes a full lift or mastopexy. It is not an add on procedure and there would be no extra charge. Breast implants, however, would definitely not be part of a reduction as they are an addition of volume. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast reduction

this   Is a semantics issue. The lift is part of the standard reduction. I think you're right about the implant issue. Seems like it would be unnecessary in your case. Good luck with the process. 

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift and reduction

This is a common question. Fortunately a lift automatically occurs when we do a reduction so it is not considered a separate procedure.  If you have a reduction you will be lifted too.  If you wanted to add small implants that would be a purely cosmetic procedure and could be done at the same surgery or a later surgery but would not be covered by insurance. Best wishes !

Maida Parkins, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Mastopexy along with an authorized reduction mammoplasty?

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. Once a breast reduction is performed, a breast lift "automatically" occurs. In other words, as breast tissue is removed the breasts are lifted on the patient's chest wall as well.  Therefore, separate authorization is not necessary.
 My best suggestion: select your plastic surgeon carefully. Communicate your goals carefully as well. Best wishes for an that you will be very pleased with.

Breast reduction / lift

Thank you for your question.  Whenever a breast reduction is performed, a lift is achieved as a natural consequence of the procedure.  It wouldn't be a separate procedure here.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Breast Lift IS Included with Breast Reduction #breastlift #breastreduction

• A breast reduction removes a significant amount of breast tissue to make the breast smaller. 
  • During a breast reduction, the breast is lifted as well. 
  • Thus a breast reduction includes a breast lift.
  • HOWEVER, a breast lift may be performed without a breast reduction, thereby reshaping the breast, and elevating the nipple, without removing much breast tissue.  A breast lift does not include a breast reduction. 
  • Therefore, you don't need to worry about "self pay"  for a breast lift if you are going to be having a breast reduction, as the reduction will include a lift. 
  • Thanks for sharing your question!