Would I benefit from a chin implant or other options to balance my face? (photo)

I've had braces and various appliances to widen and move my jaw forward but my chin still appears weak. My face feels round and unbalanced, even being skinny I have a double chin. I have been contemplating a chin implant for years but now I see there may be other options (fillers, Sliding Genioplasty). I'd like to know what would be best for my face.

CHIN AUGMENTATION AND SUBMENTAL LIPOSUCTION CANDIDATE

Dear littlelady68, If you do not have any problems with your teeth and your bite then the easier solution to adding projection to the chin is with a chin implant. In your case I would also suggest submental/cervical liposuction with possible buccal fat pad removal to provide not only a better profile but an overall more feminine and defined facial aesthetic. Fillers are a temporary fix to the chin and your concerns would not be properly addressed with a filler. Genioplasty is a procedure that has a very long recovery period versus chin augmentation and sub-mental liposuction where there is a small incision made under the chin and is a quick recovery with minimal downtime. For an example of these procedures see the video above of a male patient and then the link below for examples of chin augmentation. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Chin implant candidate

The photographs demonstrate a weak and recessive chin and mandible, for which a chin implant can improve.  Placement of a chin implant will help with facial balance and proportions, especially from the side profile.  Chin implants are manufactured in the large variety of sizes and shapes, are composed of Silastic, and are usually placed through a small incision underneath the chin under local anesthesia as an outpatient surgical procedure.  A sliding genioplasty  is performed when the teeth are significantly out of alignment, and is performed under general anesthesia in the hospital setting with an overnight hospital stay.  For more information  and many examples of chin implants, please see the link and the video below

You need liposuction of neck and a chin implant

Liposuction of neck and jawline along with chin augmentation will give you your desired facial balance.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Would I benefit from a chin implant or other options to balance my face?

Hi, the non smiling photos of your face from the front and are the best for the evaluation. I have performed many facial shaping procedures using dermal fillers, facial implants (cheek, chin), liposuction and/or facelifts for over 30 years. Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces. Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front. Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face. Think of facial beauty as something that "must" address all layers of the face including the skeletal structure of the cheeks and chin, the overlying SMAS muscle, amount and position of subcutaneous fat and finally the degree of skin laxity. It's an "urban myth" that pulling tissues over flat cheeks and a weak chin can create a beautiful or handsome face. Similarly, dermal fillers or facial implants alone can't lift and remove excess skin from the face and neck. Natural looking beauty is created by the aesthetic vision of what tissues layers need to be adjusted by what technique and amount. From the photos, your cheeks are flat anteriorly, there is excess fat in front of and below the cheeks and the chin is weak.  Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face as discussed above.

A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.   I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick and highly effective.Hope this helps

Candidate for a chin augmentation

Without an exam your question cannot be answered. However, your photos are helpful and you are probably a good candidate for a Chin Augmentation. You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision: Candidates for Chin Augmentation - Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation

Weak chin correction - what is the best option?

Thanks for the question.  Based on your photo it appears you have retrognathia with an accompanying excess overjet and overbite, but I cannot fully assess this without an exam.  Given the severity of the retrognathia, it would be difficult to achieve an acceptable correction with fillers alone.  None of the interventions, chin implant, genioplasty or fillers, will address the underlying malocclusion that accompanies the retrognathia.  To correct the recessed chin only, I would consider doing a chin implant in combination with liposuction of the neck.  The neck liposuction will improve jawline definition and sharpen the cervicomental angle resulting in a perceived improvement in chin projection.  Feel free to look at the below link to my website and see the third patient down in the section on neck liposuction.  This patient had liposuction only and demonstrates an improvement in chin projection with a sharper cervicomental angle.  Both a chin implant and liposuction of the neck can be done in the office setting under local anesthesia.  A sliding genioplasty is a much bigger operation which requires a longer recovery time and a higher risk for complications.

Small chin

The most ideal for your structure is a sliding genioplasty. This approach will have a 3D affect and change the area under the chin, projection, and width. Your growth pattern is important when considering options. Definition of the area requires more than a 'profile' change. Fillers are not a reasonable long term solution.

Gerald Wittenberg, MSc, DMD
Vancouver Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon