I have really skinny legs (ankles) and I hate it. Is there anything possible I can do please? (photos)

I just wanna add some fat on them to be able to feel comfortable and normal there has to be something that can be done

Very thin lower legs

Thank you for your question about your thin lower legs and ankles.

• This is a surprisingly common problem.
  • Calf implants can be placed in the leg.
  • These will give bulk to the lower leg but not the ankles.
  • This is what bothers most people - not the thin ankles themselves.
  • However if the ankles are also an issue, fat injections are the only possible treatment.
  • This is an area of important nerve, veins and arteries as well as tendons.
  • Results are unpredictable and several treatment sessions are needed.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Calf Implants

You may be a candidate for calf augmentation. Calf implants are a form of muscle enhancement surgery designed to improve leg contour. Through small incisions, implants can be inserted to create improved calf definition. It’s even possible to use your own fat to increase the size of your calves and legs, so that nothing artificial may be needed to correct a natural deformity or to increase the size of the leg. I recommend making an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon who can review your surgical options with you in detail.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

Fat injection in ankle region

Fat injection may be the only possible treatment for your problem. But be aware of the fact that there are definitely more than one procedures necessary to get a decent result. The area is not as receptive for fat injections than other areas as the breast.
Please talk to your plastic surgeons about this!
Good luck!
best regards,
G Huemer

Georg M. Huemer, MD, MSc, MBA
Austria Plastic Surgeon

Fat Injections for Skinny Lower Legs

If you have enough fat to harvest, fat injections can be done around the ankles and lower calf areas. While not all fat will survive, I have found that procedure to be moderately successful with no complications other than some prolonged swelling of the injected areas. The problem for some people with very skinny lower legs is that their bodies are often very thin as well and have little to no fat to harvest.

Skinny ankles treatment?

Although soft semi-solid silicone implants work very well for calf augmentation, i do not recommend placing an implant in the ankle region. Similarly i do not recommend injecting any filler material or fat for ankle augmentation because of either poor longevity and/or serious complications. Glad to help. 

Ryan Stanton, MD