Is this normal looking? 7 months since I've had my surgery I work a lot so I hadn't been able to make my last appt. (photo)

Doctor Answers 5

Follow Up Regarding Scars

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I'm sure that your Plastic Surgeon would appreciate you checking in with them- even long distance- as they will examine the photo and likely advise you about scar treatments available for you.
All the best

Is this normal looking?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for sharing your question and photograph.  You have developed some mildly hypertrophic incision sites that can be improved upon with some OTC treatments as well as some treatment in your surgeon's office.  Below I am attaching a link with information you may find useful to help improve the appearance of your scarring.  Best wishes

Nelson Castillo, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 80 reviews

Breast scars

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question. They look like hypertrophic scars. Need scar management. Please contact your PS for evaluation

Hypertrophic scars

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You are developing mildly (so far) hypertrophic scars. Consult your plastic surgeon for his her recommendation for topical treatment options in an attempt to improve them.

Hypertrophic scars after breast surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Your scars look hypertrophic- meaning they are thicker, darker, and more raised than the average scar.  In your case, it looks like a relatively milder degree of hypertrophy.  This is a common problem for patients with darker skin tones and has a strong genetic component, but is thankfully a much less severe problem than keloid formation, in which the scars can extend outside the areas of surgery. You don't need to do anything if the scars don't bother you cosmetically, but there are things that might help like steroid injections, silicone sheeting, topical silicone ointments, and other products.  I would recommend that you see your original surgeon to discuss options to treat your scars, as there is usually some room for improvement.

Robert Cohen, MD
Santa Monica Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 58 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.