I was told by multiple surgeons on here a few years ago I need a septo/rhinoplasty. Would like more info. (photos)

I have had my nose broken twice that I can recall. Once when I was 7 or 8. It grew crooked because I never said anything to anyone. I finally had it fixed my freshman year, only to be sucker punched with a roll of nickels. Once again didn't fix it:( I'm 34 now and I can't remember when I ever breathed right nor looked normal :( I'm really ready to finally get this fixed for my breathing and my overall look. For some reason it's really bugging me more and more. I just want a fresh start.God bless

Broken Nose Correction

From your photos it is evident that you have had significant nasal trauma and I am not surprised you can't breathe through that crooked nose.  You were correctly told that a septo-rhinoplasty would help straighten your nose as well as help you breathe.  This is commonly covered by insurance when done for breathing reasons, though each insurance is different.  A consult with a facial plastic surgeon would be your first step toward better breathing and a straighter nose. 

Troy Facial Plastic Surgeon

Correction of your nose

Hi , From your pictures it is very evident that you had a broken nose. A rhinoseptoplasty would straighten your nose both externally and internally, making it look better and improving your breathing.  I think the best approach would be open as this would allow a thorough evaluation of the deformities and a much more effective correction.  If you have insurance this can sometimes cover parts or all of the procedures cost.  Of not it can be done in an outpatient OR where the costs are generally less than in a hospital. The exact details of the procedure and the cost would be discussed at a consultation. Good luck.

William H. Sabbagh, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon

Need a septo/rhinoplasty

The internal and external nasal areas that you described and would like improved can be addressed with a nasal surgery (rhinoplasty) and a septoplasty which are typically done at the same time. A natural appearing nose can be achieved when the procedures are performed by an artistic plastic surgeon with extensive experience in nasal surgery.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based on a limited two dimensional photo without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Correction of a Deviated Nose

You definitely will benefit from a reconstructive rhinoseptoplasty. In my hands an open technique works best. This allows for full visualization of the problem as well as the best ability to straighten the external deviation. You need to go to someone who feels comfortable with these type of procedures and has had a lot of experience. It is done under a general anesthetic but you should be able to go home same day.

Scott R. Brundage, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Nasal breathing can be significantly improved with a septoplasty and sometimes a functional rhinoplasty. You should certainly consider it to improve your breathing issues. The whole procedure is quick 1 to 2 hours and recovery time is about a week missed from work and school. If you are involved with active sports or any activity that might hurt you and break your nose again, then consider quitting that sport to avoid future nasal injuries. 

Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Deviated Nose

Most likely the deviation on the outside of your nose is along with the deviation of the septum internally. This is a challenging nose and you need to consult someone who has experience in dealing with deviated noses. You would be a good candidate for septoplasty and rhinoplasty. 

Bahman Guyuron, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and photographs.

I would recommend that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty to have a nasal examination done and an accurate suggestion on how to correct the problems you are having breathing and with the appearance etc. You may benefit from a septorhinoplasty considering you are having trouble with your breathing and your history or trauma to the nose. Anything that is medically necessary can be put through your insurance to see if they will cover it. Anything cosmetic such as straightening your nose or reducing the tip/nostrils etc will have to be self-paid, most practices will offer payment plans for this. Best of luck in your endeavors.

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and septoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a septoplasty, osteotomies, and spreader grafts to help straighten your nose.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD