New saline implants that feel more like silicone on the market?

I just read an article regarding a new type of saline implant on the market. However it didn't tell me the name or maker. The doctor said they feel more natural and are an enormous improvement from the previous saline. They're more similar to the feel of silicone? I'm a little annoyed I didn't know of these as I just paid for new silicone when I would have liked to have had this safer option to consider.

Ideal saline......still saline

In the end it's still saline, and since it's a more complex device it's has more failure points. Silicone is safe and most of my patients believe it looks and feels better.  Best of luck. 

Ideal Implant: New Saline Implant with the Feel of Silicone, Without the Silicone

You are correct.  Patients now have the option of an implant filled with saline, that has a more dense or viscous feel.  These implants were developed by a plastic surgeon to meet the needs of people who wish to avoid implants that contain silicone gel.  The implants have just become available in limited sizes and through limited surgeons, but the company anticipates expanding their availability.  Find "Ideal Implant" surgeons through their website.  Simply type in IdealImplant dot com  Look at their informational videos.

BTW our practice has hundreds of patients who are extremely happy with the feel of their saline implants.  Many would not want a gel implant, even if their were no concerns about silicone.

Now, patients have more choices.

Sutton Graham II, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

There are no new saline implants...

There's nothing new with saline implants.  They are still filled with saline and thus still feel like a bag of water! Silicone implants are perfectly safe -- you made the right choice!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

New saline implants

I have not tried the "new "saline implants so I can not comment on their feel but rest assured silicone is safe and you should do well.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

"New" saline implants are NOT "safer" than silicone implants.

Even in 1991, when the FDA restricted the use of the "older" style of non-cohesive silicone implants that COULD leak and often ruptured, then-FDA chief Dr. David Kessler reported that re-operation had HIGHER risks than keeping asymptomatic silicone implants! This meant that re-operation was actually riskier than leaving the old-style silicone implants in place.

The intervening years and lots of scientific studies later have shown NO cause-and-effect relationship between silicone gel implants and any type of autoimmune disease, illness, or increased risk of breast cancer. All of these years of additional study failed to produce any scientific evidence that silicone gel implants are "riskier" than saline implants, and improvement in silicone gel implants (cohesive implants that CANNOT leak and even more rarely rupture than the old style implants) made these new implants safer than ever before.

The FDA re-approved silicone gel implants for cosmetic and reconstructive use in November, 2006. And the "new" ones are even safer than the "old" still-safer-than re-operation silicone implants. Making leaky salines the highest "risk" implants of all!

Saline implants (even present-day ones) can still leak or rupture, requiring re-operation. THERE are the higher risks, even by the standards of the old-style silicone implants. Compared to the present (safer) cohesive silicone implants, you are really off base thinking saline implants are somehow "safer." Even plastic surgeons who claim saline implants are still safer are actually wrong.

Not to mention that the Ideal saline implants are not yet FDA-approved.

BTW, there was a saline implant (company now out of business) many years ago called the Hutchison implant that was softer and felt more like silicone than any other saline implant then available. As I just mentioned, they are now no longer in business, since silicone implants were just re-approved in 2006 when this company might have made a name for itself in the saline implant market. Hutchison implants really were soft implants, but as time has shown, they also had a higher leak/deflation rate to achieve that softness. Without more time and study, the Ideal implant may end up with the same outcome. Or not.

Your surgeon should be thanked for "saving" you from the higher risk of problems that saline implants have in general, and the "Ideal" implants might have specifically, and for being the expert our patients aren't. Just saying!

I'm personally glad you have the best present-day option available, and hope your results are splendid long term! Best regards, Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Ideal implants

Ideal implants are probably the implants you read about. They do not have a long track record, so it is really hard to comment about them.  I have not used them yet.

New saline implants

Search for Ideal Saline implants, and you will find the items listed.  Of course, they are still not as soft as silicone in my opinion, and since they are new to market, they don't have as long a track record as the saline or silicone implants we already have and know well.

Ideal saline implant

More information about the new structured saline implant (called the Ideal Implant) can be found on their website.  Links are not allowed here but their website can be easily found by searching for ideal implant.

As you mentioned, this new breast implant is filled with saline but feels more like a silicone gel-filled implant.  It is suited to those patients who want the feel of a silicone gel implant but feel more comfortable with the idea of having a saline implant in case of a leak.

The Ideal Implant is currently only available to a select group of board certified plastic surgeons.  There is a doctor locator tool on their website.

Christopher W. Chase, MD
Chattanooga Plastic Surgeon

Ideal Saline Breast Implants

The IDEAL saline breast implant will be available to select plastic surgeons later this fall. It is not available now so it was not an option for you at the time of your surgery. No saline breast implant is necessarily safer than silicone, they re just two different breast implant filler materials that are both FDA-approved.

New saline implants

Hello, based on your description I'm not sure which implants these might be.  However, I wanted to comment on your concern that they are safer than your silicone implants.  Saline and silicone implants do have unique advantages and disadvantages but I don't think there is a consensus that one implant is safer than the other.