Losing CCs under the muscle? (Photo)

I keep hearing silicone 250 mentor mp+ will look like the 225 mentor mp+ sizers in the bra at the office. How many ccs will implants change under muscle? Will the 250cc turn out looking like the 225cc?

Breast Implant Revision/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question. The best way to determine implant size is based on chest wall measurements that fit your body.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.   Implants under the muscle, there is less risk of capsular contracture.  Anatomic implants tend to give a more natural shape with more nipple projection. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Losing cc's under the muscle

In my opinion, the Mentor sizers you place in a bra correspond to a submuscular implant that is about 50 cc's larger. So if you had a 250 sizer in a bra, to achieve this look would take a 300 M+ implant. The sizers are meanest to look most like a M+ implant. Hope this helps.

Karen Quigley, MD

Losing CCs under the muscle?

Thank you for the question. No, in my opinion, it is not possible to accurately determine how many CCs you would “lose” when undergoing sub muscular breast augmentation surgery.  I would suggest that you do not make your decisions based on statement such as: “you will lose 25 or 50 cc of volume when breast implants are placed under the muscle”. These statements are simply not reliable enough to utilize clinically. 

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering  breast augmentation surgery (regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work. Sometimes, it is necessary to seek several consultations before you feel comfortable about your choice.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as  “natural” or "C or D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.  Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate. Again, best not to discuss your goals and/or judge the outcome of the procedure performed based on achieving a specific cup size.  The use of computer imaging may be very helpful during the communication process. The use of  in bra sizers may also be helpful. In other words, use as many “visual aids” as possible during the communication process. I encourage patients to meet  with me as my times as necessary, to feel comfortable that we are both on the “same page”.   3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery. I generally select appropriate breast implant size/profile after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers and viewing the patient's chest in the upright and supine positions.

I hope this (and the attached link,  dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps.  Best wishes.