Is this a gynecomastia? How can I treat it? (Photo)

Please let me know how can i treat it ?

Doctor Answers 8

Is This Gynecomastia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The male breast is composed of glandular tissue and fatty tissue. An excess in either type of tissue can cause the chest to take on the look of gynecomastia. Gynecomastia can affect men of all different body types. According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades.  About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement. 

Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.
There are three types of surgical #treatment #options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal #candidate.

Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 116 reviews

What is gynecomastia ?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
GYNECOMASTIA = Breast Enlargement in Men, below are some basic information to know about the procedure and if it is for you:
Gynecomastia or breast enlargement in men can be corrected by a variety of plastic surgical techniques. This condition often creates a psychological poor self perception and many males of all ages do not take their shirts off because of this stigma. Candidates are men who have over-developed or enlarged breasts which may occur as the result of hormonal changes or hereditary conditions.
Candidates are healthy men, whose condition cannot be corrected through exercise, weight reduction or other non-surgical treatments. Appropriate preconditions for surgery are the stabilization of breast development (no further breast enlargement) and localized areas of excess breast tissue and fat.
Intended Result
The procedure intends to reduce the breast size and redundant breast tissue to enhance the contours of the chest. The surgery often reduces physical discomfort associated with the area, as well as physiological and emotional dissatisfaction with the area.
Procedure Description
General, Intravenous or local anesthesia are used for this procedure depending on the severity and type of procedure(s) selected by your plastic surgeon. It is performed on an outpatient basis. For males with very large breasts staged procedures (more than one procedure) may be required. For example, the first procedure may be liposuction, then several weeks to months later after skin contraction has occurred, a separate procedure is done to remove excess skin. By doing a staged procedure, often the final scars are less.
Oftentimes, specific types of liposuction cannulas are used and often in conjunction with direct removal of excess breast glandular tissue through small incisions for mild to moderate gynecomastia. Other specific techniques can reduce the areola when needed or reposition the nipple to create the appearance of a more natural contour.

How do I know if what I have is gynecomastia?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hello and thank you for your question and pictures regarding gynecomastia. Based solely on your pictures and without thorough physical examination, it appears that you do not have gynecomastia. This appears to be pectoralis muscle.

If however, on physical examination, your breast feels soft and like “doughy” bread, then you might have pseudo-gynecomastia. Pseudo-gynecomastia is fat in the breast. However, considering your abdominal structures and general lack of body fat, pseudo-gynecomastia is unlikely for your chest.

If your breasts feel firm, especially under the areola, you may have gynecomastia. If you have gynecomastia or pseudo-gynecomastia, I believe your best treatment would be liposuction. This procedure would take one or two hours and is performed on an outpatient procedure. A small incision in the size of a pencil eraser is hidden in the armpit. Using a liposuction cannula, which is a sterile, surgical metal straw, male breast tissue and fat is suctioned from the chest. The incision is closed with absorbable sutures. You are usually able to return to work seven to ten days after your surgery. Compression garments are worn for 6 to 8 weeks.

Thank you for your question regarding gynecomastia. If you have any further questions regarding gynecomastia, please contact my office.

Sincerely, Dr. Katzen

J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 254 reviews

Is this a gynecomastia? How can I treat it?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for the question and pictures. Accurate diagnosis would necessitate physical examination. It IS important to differentiate gynecomastia ( excess breast tissue) from lipomastia ( otherwise known as pseudo-gynecomastia or excess adipose tissue of chest wall). Treatment will differ depending on diagnosis. My best suggestion: seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Only treatment for gynecomastia is its surgical removal

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You do have gynecomastia.  Surgery is the only option to treat gynecomastia.  Consult with a plastic surgeon in your area.

Vasdev Rai, MD
Dallas Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 24 reviews

Is this Gynecomastia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi bilder,
Thanks for the question and the photos. It is difficult to determine whether you have gynecomstia based on these photos. I would recommend an in person exam with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in this procedure.

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 51 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for the photos and the question though an examination is needed.  If you have gynecomastia then a surgicl excision could be performed after an appropriate work up.  So see an expert in the field.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 65 reviews

Asymmetry is usually due to small amounts of gynecomastia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Yes, a small amount of asymmetrical gynecomastia can have a big effect on the overall impression of an otherwise great male chest.

One-sided, minor enlargement of male breast ducts or breast fat can lead to visual asymmetry. It appears from the photos that you also have minor enlargement of some surrounding accessory breast mounds, giving the chest a slightly softer look than many guys might prefer.

The biggest danger for you would be to either ask for or to unknowingly receive surgical removal of a large amount (or even a typical volume) of tissue from one or both sides of the chest. Instead, the best approach would likely involve highly focused, small volume correction to avoid the appearance of postoperative flatness or actual nipple/areolar indentation that can show up more than a year later when all swelling finally subsides.

Although I haven't examined you, I believe that relatively minor ASYMMETRICAL removal of volume with tiny cannulas and through small hidden scars would produce natural, masculine, symmetrical results. There are a few image sets on my website that illustrate how small volume shifting can produce big perceptual results.

David Teplica, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.