I want implants, but I really don't want a lift. The scar terrifies me.

What implant would help me achieve a natural full look? I would like a natural look, fullness!

The Right Choice Depends on Your Goals

Without photos, I can only offer some general advice. It is important to understand that breast implants simply add volume to the breasts; they are not designed create a lifted look. You can achieve a fuller appearance that looks natural with breast implants, but creating perkier, more youthful looking breasts typically requires a lift if there is moderate to severe sagging (also called ptosis).

A Breast Lift May Enhance Your Augmentation

The intention of a Breast Lift (#Mastopexy) is to improve the shape and position of the breast without reducing their size. It is used especially for breasts which sag or droop (#ptosis) as a result of aging, weight loss, pregnancy, or breastfeeding. However, many women report more satisfaction if an implant is used at the time of #mastopexy. The implants further shape their breasts, restoring superior fullness or volume which may be decreased over time.
In regards to implants alone, this is usually said to be mistake by patients reflecting back at the decision. Most breasts will look larger and more droopy with solely implants. They will sag more and sooner, due to the sudden and excess weight. At times it's possible for a “Snoopy” breast or double bubble to develop as a result.

I prefer to use a #shortscar technique, #LollipopScar or #DonutLift” rather than the majority of surgeons in the United States that use an anchor pattern lift; which involve more significant #scarring. The #nipple-areola complex can be repositioned higher, the excess skin is removed, and the breasts are reshaped in a pleasing contour and in a more normal position.

Your procedure should be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. I suggest you view before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Breast Augmentation - Need A Lift?

Thank you for your question.  Please see a board certified plastic surgeon for an in-person examination to discuss the type of implant required to achieve your desired results. Ask to see before and after photos to get an idea of what can be achieved. Hope this helps.

If you dont want scars, breast fat fill could be the solution

Hi. If you dont want a lift nor a scar, breast fat fill could be a solution. Autologous fat can be transferred from other regions of your body, to your breasts to give you fuller and natural looking breasts. 

Breast augmentation - is a lift necessary

Thank you for your question about your breast augmentation.

• Unfortunately the posted photo is of your wish look -=
  • I cannot open the photos of your situation.
  • A general guide is this - if your nipples are at the level of your natural breast crease, you are very unlikely to need a breast lift.
  • Be sure your surgeon is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon -
  • If in doubt, best to get a second opinion before surgery.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD

Breast Lift vs Implants

What has happened to your breasts is very natural. Due to weight loss or pregnancy many women's breasts will deflate over time. The solution is either to fill up the excess skin that you do have with an implant, tighten the skin with a lift, or some combination of the two. An augmentation with an implant will result in less scarring but your breasts will still be lower on your chest. The lift is appealing to some women because it is more natural and does not require an implant, but there is much more scarring involved. A board-certified plastic surgeon with experience in cosmetic breast enhancement should be able to help you determine what will give you the results you're looking for.

No lift

Just enlarging your breasts will give you a fuller look without raising your nipples. This will give a more "natural" appearance. I would suggest meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon and discussing all your options.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Implants without a lift

Of course you must be examined to confirm, but from the photos it appears you could be a candidate for implants with or without a lift.  Since your nipples are pointing forward and not down, you can get away with just placing implants above the muscle.  Your breasts will have increased volume and look natural, similar to the photos you like, but possibly even more youthful as her nipples are pointing slightly down.  If you elect to do a lift, it appears from your photos that implants with a donut or circumareolar lift (around the areloas only), may provide sufficient lifting.  This is an option that can also help minimize the scarring.  You have options! 

Good luck to you!
Dr. Alan Larsen

Lift or Augment

Women who wish to have a larger breast size can benefit from breast augmentation. Also, women who have a slight problem with sagging, may benefit from having implants. In fact, since scarring is significantly less with augmentation than it is with a breast lift, this may be the preferable option. You will need to be examined in person and discuss your goals and options with a board certified Plastic Surgeon. They will let you know if your level of ptosis requires a lift and will discuss the pros/cons of different options with you to help you decide.

All the best

Too add lift or not?

One of the more common scenarios that we as aesthetic plastic surgeons deal with in cosmetic breast surgery is the patient from either weight loss, or post pregnancy has a little bit of drop of the breast off of the chest wall that we call ptosis. The question then becomes in the patient's mind, can we just fill the space with an implant and create a youthful looking breast. It all depends on what the patient's perception of youthful is. My patients, more than likely, would like to have upper pole fullness of the breast without the necessity for wearing a push-up bra. In these situations, a breast lift plus an implant both centers the nipple and areola complex on the breast while replacing the lost volume with an implant. Most patients’ hesitation in doing the breast lift as well as implants, are the potential for bad scars. In my experience, we talk a lot about the scars of a breast lift preoperatively, but hardly ever in the postoperative phase. It seems to me, that when the breast is up high on the chest wall, youthful and perky, that one does not even see the scars. Most of the time, these incision lines heal uneventfully anyway. In the small chance that the scars are more red or thicker than one would like, we have many options in lasers, light sources, and laser assisted drug delivery techniques to mitigate against unsightly scars. Sometimes, patients who I've seen have seen other physicians who have recommended simply placing a large implant to "fill the space". This seems to be a very temporary fix for the situation in that the stretched out soft tissue that the implant is placed into, usually will allow very rapid descent of the breast, such that in just a few months, it looks like a bigger version of the breast that they first started with. They will then sometimes have a secondary mastopexy, and at that time, I would often recommend that they replace the very large implant with a smaller one. In my opinion, a large lift, meaning taking out as much of the stretched out skin as possible, and placing a more modest size implant will make a breast that will remain perky and up on the chest wall for a long period of time. In my opinion, perky breasts, not necessarily large breasts, look youthful. Patients will then ask, "why then does Dr. so-and-so tell me that I can just have implants?" My answer to this is very simple. It is far easier in most plastic surgeons’ skill sets to place a large implant then do a breast lift with an implant. The simultaneous lift and implant procedure is a little more challenging in that you're trying to do opposite things at the same time. One, you're trying to make the skin envelopes smaller and at the same time make the breast larger. One easy way to decide whether a lift is good for you, is to see your image in 3-D on a Vectra camera system. In our office, we can then compare two images: one with mastopexy with implants and the other with implants alone. In that way, both the patient and plastic surgeon can see what the difference in the look of both procedures are. Usually when implant is placed only, and a breast lift was really needed, what the patient will see is a breast that is falling off of a properly placed mound that's higher in the chest wall than the breast is. The breast seems to be falling off the implant. They will commonly squeeze the end part of their breast and ask, “why hasn't the implant filled this space out?” For me, the in between operation is to use a tall shaped implant. These anatomically shaped implants can create the illusion, that although the nipple has not really been raised, that the nipple is now more centered on the breast. While these implants do cost more than round implants, it still less expensive than adding a breast lift. All things considered, it's best to consult with a few talented and busy cosmetic breast surgeons to get different opinions. Good luck with your decision.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS