2nd healing problem - what should I do about the ruptured suture. (photos)

I posted the torn lower part of the left labia before but today I could check the sides. My surgeon is on vacation. I study medicine myself but that hole freaks the shit out of me! It looks pretty good (compared to day 7) but there is about a third of my labia hanging nearly completely loose down below. I took cotrimoxazole until yesterday, now only ibuprofen, I leave it alone most of the time and don't walk around. Will that close up too?? Do I need more antibiotics? Or revision and stitches?

Keep your hands off it & let it heal!!

What you should do is keep your hands off it, use NO "salves" or "ointments, and just LET IT HEAL! You say you "study medicine" so you should know better. You yourself will pull out sutures by tugging on the incision line like that. If your surgeon is "on vacation (s)he should have someone skilled to "cover" for her or him. You DON'T need antibiotics. You DON'T need more stitches (any stitches placed > 36/48 hours after surgery will come out & greatly increase infection risk.)
What to do: If > 10 days from surgery, take sitz baths twice/day (showers are OK.)) Carefully pat dry & fully dry w/ hair dryer low heat/high blow. Keep it clean. No dressings or ointments. SEE YOUR SURGEON. Wait until at least 6 weeks post-op to get an idea of outcome (it will take 3-4 months to truly know results.) Freak out all you wish; it will only stress you and the simple fact of your stress may delay healing. Do your best to "chill" and let your body and your bottom HEAL.
...And... Best Wishes to you! The attached Weblink and website may be of help...
Michael P Goodman, MDDavis, CA, USA

Labiaplasty: Postoperative Results

Thank you for your question.  I am sorry to hear about your issues.  It is challenging to evaluate your condition based on your photographs.  Swelling is common after labiaplasty with the amount dependent in part based on the time since surgery.  The final result will be seen after several months, which at that time one can evaluate if a secondary surgery would be recommended.  I would recommend contacting the surgeon covering your surgeon while he/she is on vacation.    Best of luck.     Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

Possible Revision or Re-Stitching Needed

Here is some basic information on a full revision if it were needed:Revison surgery for labiaplasty may be requested to remove more tissue: make the labia more even.;  correct over reductions; treat adhesions between parts of the vulva; improve the appearance of color, texture, and scars after previous treatment. Revisions are generally possible but, as with other surgeries, revision becomes more difficult than the initial first operation. These should be performed by a surgeon experienced with Cosmetic Female Genital Surgery.  You should wait at least 6 months for the initial surgery to resolve.  Tissues need to heal and soften before they are re-operated upon.Now, as you are facing these issues currently you should still be able to reach an answering service or other attendants at your surgeon's office where you would be able to get some advice as to whether there is another surgeon available if you need a live appointment immediately, or if there is something that you should be able to do temporarily to treat your situation until your surgeon returns to town. If you are still feeling any discomfort or concerns at all, you should not hesitate to contact them with all questions in order to make sure you progress with proper healing. Good luck to you!

2nd healing problem - what should I do about the ruptured suture.

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs and I am sorry to hear of your continued labiaplasty recovery issues.  You have suffered a separation of your labia minora incision site but it currently looks small and you should allow your body the opportunity of healing this in from the inside-out.  I know waiting is difficult but you need to minimize trauma to the area by avoiding separation and manipulation of the tissues.  Maintain close follow up with your surgeon so that they can address any further issues.

There is no need for antibiotics for you labiaplasty problem

I see fibrin deposition at the borders of the scars. This is normal healing, just slightly more visible than average. No evidence of infection. Keep it clean and let it heal.

Wound open

Your suture line has indeed opened up in this wedge type labiaplasty. Best to keep it clean and let it heal over time by itself (called healed by secondary intention). It may need restitching later, but just letting it heal over time may be all you need to do.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN