Is this normal on a vagina I just notice it and I don't have any problems at all should I be concerned about it? (photo)

Funny scar inside my Vagina, is it normal?

Hi Vasquez, Thanks for your question and photos. It looks like an old labioplasty scar. Which is how they look sometimes after surgery or an internal tear that healed this way. If not pain or issues then likely nothing to worry about. I would recommend being seen by your OB/Gyn doctor and if they feel concerned they can take a biopsy or piece of the tissue to make sure that there is nothing bad going on there. Hope this helps. Good Luck!   All the best, Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS #labioplasty #scars Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Vaginal Structure is Normal?

From the image you have presented everything appears basically normal, but there is no reason why you should hold back from checking in person with a surgeon's advice on any vaginal surgery to overcome discomforts or reduced confidence about your own vaginal area. Women have a wide range of normal color, texture, size and asymmetries of their genitalia. This is true of the Vulva and all of its parts, the same as other parts of the body. Candidates for #labiaplasty and #vaginal surgery include women concerned about the appearance of their genitals, or those who experience discomfort, pain or difficulty with sexual relations.  Moisture can create problems such as yeast infections. More specific problems are noted below in each section. These problems may exist at birth or with growth and development. They can occur with childbirth or other trauma to the region. All of these issues can cause a woman great emotional distress that is often difficult to talk about with their partner, friends and even their doctor.

From the photo you submitted, everything appears normal.  One question I have is does it feel normal?  As you know, there is a lot of variation from one woman to the next in terms of the appearance of the external genitalia.  Skin folds, bumps, ridges, tags, etc. are all part of normal variations.  When one of these feels abnormal, for example, "hard," "rough," or "painful," then that is when I would be more concerned about some abnormality that requires medical attention.  I always recommend an in-person examination, so, if you are still concerned, please schedule an appointment with a gynecologist in your area and have this answered more definitively.  Thanks for the question!

Whenver appreciating bumps or lumps

if it isn't changing, its nothing to worry about.  Other doctors have told you what it could be but if not impacting your function and asymptomatic, it should be nothing to worry about.  I'm impressed that you actually noticed it as it is rather subtle.

Curtis Wong, MD

Normal Vaginal Tissue

The vaginal skin you are referring to is nothing to worry about. You are not experiencing pain, bleeding or unusual discharge so I wouldn't give it a second thought.  During your next gyn exam you can point it out to your doctor for additional reassurance.

Small superficial skin laceration at vaginal introitus

I see what looks like a small tear. However, the photo is not high resolution. If it's not a tear, see your gynecologist for a better look.

Abnormal Vagina?

Hello and thank you for the photos. The fact that you are having no symptoms or dysfunction from your observation is a very good thing. The fact that it does not to be changing over time; increasing in size, shape, hardening etc. or causing you problems is equally reassuring. It does appear to be an old laceration (cut) that has healed well and this would be a typical appearance. The area on your left is more difficult to see and thus unable to give any specific clue or reassurance for you. It appears this is somewhat bothersome discovery for you thus a visit to your gynecologist can give you the reassurance you would like.

Paul Pietro, MD
Greenville Physician

Normal variant

Your picture demonstrates very nicely vestibular papillae.  They classically are found at the opening of the vagina in clusters or lines just like your picture.  They typically are asymptomatic and should not require any therapy.  The status of hormones might affect the prominence of this normal variant.

Charles Butrick, MD
Overland Park OB/GYN

Likely normal tissue.

The vaginal introitus (entry) is covered by skin that is very elastic; sometimes this causes a crepe-like  heaping up of tissue that will give you this appearance.

William E. Shuell, MD
Phoenix OB/GYN

What to do about a funny-looking "tear" outside my vagina?

...Looks like a healing laceration (tear) to me, but if you're concerned you might have your PCP or Gyn check it out. Gennerally, if it's not getting bigger, is not getting firm or is a "mass"... "if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Michael P Goodman, MD
Davis, CA USA