19 mm chin implant removal - what are the risks and consequences of removing it?

Hello 2 months ago I got an almost 2 cm silicon chin implant and I can't have it no more. What are the risks and concecuences of removing it :( what should I expected I'm 35 years old. Please help

Can I have my chin implant removed?

Yes, a chin implant can be removed but you may have some excess skin remaining. It should be done sooner than later to try and minimize problems. I usually can do this under a local anesthetic.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

CHIN IMPLANT REMOVAL

Dear prado980030, I would suggest that you discuss your concerns and questions with your surgeon. He/she will know what technique was used in the placement of the implant and then can best answer your questions regarding removal. I am unsure of the reasons you are removing the implant as well so there are many questions that need answering. In general chin implant removal is a fairly straightforward procedure. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Removing chin implant

I think you should remove it and perform a sliding genioplasty as soon as possible (perhaps same appointment) to avoid collapse of the tissue. You probably needed jaw surgery to begin with if you had such a weak chin!

Majid Jamali, DMD
New York Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Risks of chin implant removal

In most cases, I would say removal of a silicone chin implant is fairly routine without any long term consequences.  As with any surgical procedure though, there is always risk involved.  Any surgical procedure can result in infection or bleeding.  A chin implant procedure can also result in numbness or weakness if a nerve or muscle is damaged.  I would encourage you to discuss the procedure with your surgeon.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon