Which implants should I go with? (Photo)

I am 5'5, 120 lbs and am a 34 b. I was told by my surgeon that I should stick between 270-310ccs but another told me to go between 350-450cc which seemed large. I have posted a turnaround of my frame and current breasts and the results I would like to go for. I do not want to go too small but want to have a natural look. I want to go with silicone underneath the breast incision but was wondering what cc would give me the desired look. Please help!

Which Implants

Without an in person consultation it is impossible to give you accurate advice regarding specific implant volume, type, or profile. There are too many factors which play a role in your overall appearance post augmentation including your height, waist, width of your shoulders, amount of breast tissue, quality of skin, degree of ptosis (sagging), position of your breasts on your chest wall, and space between your breasts. So you need to give this careful consideration in consultation with your surgeon. You appear to be a petit individual and if want a natural look then you should go with a more moderate implant size. 350-450 sounds too large for a person with a smaller frame like yourself.

Which implants should I go with?

You appear to have a good starting place for breast augmentation surgery.In order to obtain a "natural" look, I would recommend selecting a moderate or moderate profile implant. The implant should fit within your breast base width. Measurements from the nipple to the crease below your breasts on stretch also helps determine implant volume. This whole process is called tissue-based planning. It's a good starting place for trying on sizers in a bra.Ultimately, careful communication and comfort with your plastic surgeon is the best way to choose the best implant to help you obtain the look that you want.

Choosing implants

Your best bet when you are trying to decide on implants is to try on sizers of the exact implant you are considering inside a very tight sports bra. This will give you a close idea of what you will look like. More importantly the dimensions or width of the implants need to match and fit your frame and body. If you are working with a board certified plastic surgeon with an expertise in breast augmentation he or she should be able to help you with this in their office. Good luck! 

Dean Vistnes, M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area

#drdeanvistnes #breastaugmentation

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation and Size

Breast augmentation size is routinely a vexing question for patients, especially when the surgeon is making your decision.  If you are choosing to have the textured gummy bear implants that many plastic surgeons are using now, the first step is to measure your chest width and that will determine a range of implant sizes that are good for you.  After that, you should try different implant sizes in a bra that are in that width range so that you can figure out what works best for you.  That way it is your decision and not the surgeon's.  In addition, you will not have to wonder about size a you are now.I have added a video about the implants I am talking about.  You may be well served to see at least one more surgeon who uses these techniques.  The gummy bear implants also come shaped to help give you the natural look you are seeking. I hope that helps.Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Which implants should I go with?

At your height and weight, the 350cc would be large, the 450 huge. Your wish photos are conservative so don't go with a huge implant. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Which implants should I go with?

The best cosmetic result in any particular breast augmentation patient depends on a variety of factors, including: your individual anatomy, desired outcome, realistic expectations, a thorough discussion with the plastic surgeon about the options, and an understanding of the pros and cons of any particular implant choice. Proper sizing is not just about the number of cc’s. The thickness of your tissue, breast dimensions which include the width, height, and projection, as well as chest wall width all need to be considered when choosing an implant. Trying on implant “sizers” of various shapes and volumes while wearing a tight t-shirt, bra, or bathing suit at a preoperative visit will help you and your surgeon choose the optimal implant.
Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest that your plastic surgeon  be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or the Canadian Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (CSAPS)  that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.
Robert Singer, MD FACS La Jolla, California  

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Picking implants

You have lots of options.  You are also a very good candidate for Generation V, form stable, gummy bear implants. The way we approach picking an implant is by not having the patient pick the implant size or projection at all.  We use their "desired" picture as a guide and during surgery use the appropriate sized implant to create and match the desired pic.  Since we have all sizes and shapes available, you the patient isn't stuck picking an implant and not being satisfied with your choice.  Another option patient's love is placing the implant (be it, gummy, gel, or saline, through an underarm hidden incision.  Not only does this eliminate a scar on the breast, it allows you to return to your normal activities as soon as your comfort level allows.  

Marc Schneider, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Which implants should I go with?

Hard to answer this question without specific breast measurements AND an in person exam. Remember to choose a board certified plastic surgeon who actually takes the time to measure you and examine your breast pocket. Remember that sizers will only give you a rough estimate. The goal of breast augmentation is to optimally fill your breast pocket, not to overstuff or understuff it. At my practice, we utilize a series of 5 breast measurements that help me determine the implant size, which in turn helps me deliver a 24 hour recovery. Do your research and choose a surgeon who takes the time to sit down with you and discuss your goals/expectations to determine the best size for you. In general, moderate profile gives you a more natural look while high profile give you the rounded, shelf push up bra look. Good luck!!

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question. The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.   Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness). Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion. Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume. These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak. During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

Which implants should I go with?

Thank you for the question. Based on your photographs, I think that you are starting at a good place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery.  I think you have also done a nice job, utilizing goals photographs, communicating your goals. Furthermore, I think that your goal photographs are realistic. Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical. Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural look” or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers. I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.