Had Vaser Lipo on flanks and upper and lower abs 8 days ago and am still very sore.

Should I still be very sore in my stomach area 8 days postoperative? When I bend over or get out of a chair or bed, it hurts! I wear my compression garment 23 hours a day. I am still bruised, getting a little less, but uncomfortable! When will this discomfort stop?

Still Sore 8 Days After Liposuction

Yes, you will still be sore 8 days after liposuction. Even though liposuction is cosmetic in nature, it is still a surgery. The incisions are small, but the area treated is substantial. You will experience pain when changing positions - going from lying down to sitting and from sitting to standing. This is completely normal and will get better over 6-8 weeks. Even at the 6-8 week mark, you may still have some tingling sensations and sensitivity when you start back to your exercise program, in particular high impact activity. Herbal supplements such as arnica and bromelain can help reduce swelling and bruising which will help reduce your discomfort. Continue with your garment as directed. I direct my patients to wear their garments for 6 weeks minimum. Don't despair. Your soreness will get better!

Sacramento Physician

Vaser Liposuction / Liposculpture / High Definition Procedures / Liposuction Revision

I appreciate your question.

Swelling and discomfort can last anywhere from 3-6months and possibly longer depending on the extent of the liposuction performed.  Please follow your surgeons post op instructions.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute
#RealSelf100Surgeon

One week after liposuction

It's not uncommon for patients to still be sore eight days after liposuction.

VASE has a potential for being aggressive. When the procedures done using General Anastasia patients can have a slightly longer recovery. Sometimes aggressive liposuction is indicated to get the best results.

When that's the case patients will generally be sore for a little bit longer.

You may want to keep in touch with your plastic surgeon and be evaluated if you think this is more than what you had in dissipated or you think there something wrong.

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD