Tummy tuck and muscle repair first day post op. (photo)

Tummy tuck and muscle repair done yestorday is this normal I'm swelling on hips upper butt and legs where they bend. They took off 7lbs of loose skin . I'm up and moving every hour at least and incision burning when I stand along with where drains are

Early post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
At this point (1 day post-po) the swelling is normal.
To reduce it, I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.

Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

1 Day Post-Op Tummy Tuck and Muscle Repair

Overall post-op information provided to my tummy tuck patients:

Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area and the scrotal and penis area for men can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate.

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard, Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.

1 Day After TT

Difficult to guide you based on the photos. You do have buttock swelling that may be related to the garment/binder being too tight. Please contact your plastic surgeon's office and be evaluated to get more reassurance. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. 

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question and photograph.

Swelling is completely normal after a tummy tuck but often unpredictable. Everybody heals at different rates and swelling can be more severe and spread further in some people. Swelling will start to resolve over 4-6 months after your tummy tuck procedure. I would recommend scheduling an appointment with your surgeon to have them examine you if you have any concerns. It is important to follow your surgeon’s aftercare instructions then you should start to notice your results begin to refine and swelling should dissipate leaving you with your true result.
Best of luck in your recovery!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck swelling

It is likely ok but check in with your own PS now just in case.  Your surgeon who operated on you yesterday will be best qualified to tell you if the contours you are seeing are to be expected.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon