My Opthamologist advised me not to have a Blepharoplasty due to dry eyes. Is it safe to have a phenol peel on my eye lids?

Lower Eyelid Phenol Peel for wrinkles

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Phenol peels are some of the strongest skin resurfacing and tightening treatments available.  They are long lasting and extremely good collagen builders.

Patients with moderate to sever wrinkles, sun damage and light skin fare best with Phenol or modified Phenol peels. Modified peels are excellent for lightening dark areas of the face and hands.

At a younger age or with poor elasticity of the lower lid less aggressive treatments such as PRP and fat injections as well as Sculptra are good collagen stimulators helping to reduce fine lines.

There are several established lid suspension procedures designed to decrease the incidence of ectropion when performing a lower blepharoplasty on a patient who is higher risk.

Please consult in person with an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon prior to making treatment decisions.

Hetter peel for the lower eyelid skin

Any peel or laser procedure on the eyelids runs the possible risk of lid retraction, which would make your dry eye symptoms worse.  So, I would follow the advice of your Ophthalmologist, and avoid treating this area.

FYI - While the modified Hetter peel (phenol & croton oil) can indeed be successfully done on the lower eyelid area, it is done with a much lighter peel solution than that used on areas like the perioral or forehead areas.

Phenol not safe for eyelids

Thank you for the great question! Phenol is consider by most practitioners to be the deepest of the chemical peels. It is mostly used nowadays to remove the deep lines around the mouth. Because the eyelid skin is the thinnest in the body, phenol is not a good choice for this area. There are other lighter peels like a light TCA peel or some fractionated lasers which are safe to use. The most important thing is to make sure you find a physician that has experience with both peels and lasers. Best of luck!

David A. Sieber, MD
San Francisco General Surgeon