I can't have a blepharaplasty due to dry eyes. Would laser resurfacing help rejuvenate my eyes?

Laser, dry eyes and rejuvenation.

A face to face examination is needed for this one. Before any laser procedure around the eye we always examine for ectropion or one of the causes of dry eye. If you have a laser procedure that stimulates a lot of collagen - for example CO2 around the bottom eye lid, this may worsen the ectropion , and downward pull of your lids, making dry eyes worse. We assess by pulling your skin down and asking you to look up. Having said that, a mixture of lasers can be safe, eg. Clear+Brilliant for lower lids, or conservative 1927 Fraxel or even Picosure Focus, for lower lids, and fractional Co2 For upper lids. Fillers such as Juvederm or Restylane can also rejuvenate eyes. All these safe options are possible, but an examination by a Specialist is your very first step. All the bestDr Davin Lim Laser dermatologistBrisbane, Australia. 

Brisbane Dermatologist

Rejuvenating the Eye Area

While there is no real substituting a blepharoplasty for redundant skin, excess fatty deposits, or significant drooping of the lower lid; laser resurfacing can improve the appearance of the eye area.  There are many different levels of laser resurfacing, but CO2 is the most aggressive and will provide the most dramatic improvement.  Fine lines and texture, as well as minimal laxity can be improved.  Without seeing photos, it is difficult to determine what the best treatment is for you, so I would recommend seeing a specialist in your area for a consultation.  

Ethan Philpott, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Can a patient with dry eyes have blepharoplasty or laser skin resurfacing?

Thank you for asking your question. Without evaluating you in person, it is impossible to give advice to you for your specific issues. In general, conservative blepharoplasty can be performed by an eyelid specialist without effecting the dry eyes. Laser skin resurfacing can make the skin look better, but will not truly tighten the skin around the eyes and certainly will not get rid of fat beneath the skin. See an Oculoplastic Surgeon for comprehensive evaluation and guidance.
Good luck,

Eye rejuvenation

Certainly it is hard to give advice without seeing a picture of your eyes (and of course better yet would be to see you in person). However, I can say that laser resurfacing overall can be very useful in rejuvenating the are around the eyes by tightening the skin. Obviously, if your skin is tighter and smoother your eyes will have a more youthful appearance. This is of course simplified and a thorough examination would help make the final decision. 

Ravi Dahiya, MD
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon