Is it a better result to have Liposuction prior to having a Tummy tuck?

Can both be done at the same time? Or should liposuction be done after a tummy tuck?

Liposuction can be done with a tummy tuck

Great question!  Yes, liposuction can be before, after, or even with a tummy tuck for great results.  However, all of this depends upon your physical exam and aesthetic goals.  During a consultation, we could determine the best procedures for you and timing of them.

Thank you for your question!

Dr. Schreiber, Baltimore plastic surgeon

Tummy tuck and liposuction sequence

Dear Modacious,
  As a rule, I recommend to my patients not to have tummy tuck and liposuction at the same time because of the significant increased risk of severe complication.
    In a recent study that was based on data from cosmetic surgery insurance company, doing tummy tuck with liposuction increased the severe complication x10.
  Additionally, an investigation by the Florida government of the many deaths in surgery centers that occurred few years ago, revealed that the most common cause for the fatalities was combination of tummy tuck and liposuction...
 Cosmetic surgery is purely elective and as such, the possible complication should be as low as possible.
   From the previous comments, you can see that many surgeons are doing the combined procedures, but, is it worth the high risk ?
  In regard to your question,  which surgery should be done first ? Logically, it is much better to do the tummy tuck first, because after tummy tuck, you lose significant amount of weight, due to the abdominal muscles tightening, which reduces the amount of food that you can eat and your sense of hunger. Consequently, you might not need to do liposuction, which will save you lots of money. Only about 10% of my tummy tuck patients (I have done over 1000), feel the need to have liposuction!
 Moreover, if you do liposuction first, the scarring from the procedure stiffen the skin to such a degree that the skin does not stretch optimally and the result of tummy tuck is compromised.
  Not all results are the same because experience, skills and aesthetic eye are critical for good and satisfying results. So do your due diligence and choose wisely.
  Always, consult with experienced board certified plastic surgeons who operate in accredited surgery center for your safety. Most  importantly, check the before and after pictures in the photo gallery, to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and attractive.
                                          Dr Widder

Lipo and Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question.  It depends on the areas to be liposuctioned and your anatomy.  I will often liposuction the central portion of the flap and the flanks.  However, there are areas where the skin gets its blood supply that need to be protected from liposuction to prevent complications.  I recommend speaking to a board certified plastic surgeon for an in person evaluation.  All the best, 

Keshav Magge, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question.Unfortunately there are no pictures.

Certain tummy tuck procedures include performing liposuction at the same time. 

There are other tummy tuck procedures where liposuction would not be used at the same time. 

I recommend you undergo a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. 

Please see the accompany video for more information. 

Joshua Halpern, MD, PA

Tummy Tuck and Liposuction

It is a pleasure to answer your question. Cosmetic procedures are commonly combined for optimum efficiency and minimizing the numbers of recoveries and anesthetics required for your desired outcome. In my experience it is very common to performed Liposuction and Tummy Tuck at the same time. Patients that are planning to get more the one procedure at the same time must be very healthy to avoid risks during and after surgery. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Carlos Recio, MD
Cali Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and abdominoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. It is very common to perform liposuction at the same time as an abdominoplasty.  For my patients, every abdominoplasty patient also undergoes liposuction at the same.  This can greatly help give contour and nice shape.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with.  I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Better result to have Liposuction prior to having a Tummy tuck?

Liposuction is a tool that is often used during tummy tuck surgery. The concern with excessive liposuction surgery done at the same time relates to the blood flow to the abdominal wall " flap" and the potential for problems with wound healing and/or tissue necrosis.

In my practice, judicious use of liposuction surgery during tummy tuck surgery is very helpful in improving results. I frequently utilize liposuction surgery for abdominal wall, flanks and/or pubic area contouring. Again, like any other "technique" utilized, good judgment is necessary to avoid complications.
I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Thank you for your question.  If you're planning to go under anesthesia, it's possible and common to have both procedures performed at the same time.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck with Liposuction

Thank you for your question. It's difficult to give precise recommendations without pictures, but depending on the areas, you would be able to have liposuction and a tummy tuck at the same time. In my practice, I often perform the two together. Patients who have a tummy tuck and liposuction of the flanks get a nice contoured shape. You will need to work with a board certified plastic surgeon with expertise in this area. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS