Lump Behind Ear That Oozed, then a Blue Thread Appeared

5 months after a revision facelift......a tender area behind my ear became a hard lump. A month later it began to just ooze a little bit. Now that the oozing stopped.....what I see is a thread that has migrated through my skin......My original facelift was an uneven mess, revision surgery was no better. You can see that there is a pull to the skin on my neck in that area. I can't afford to pay for another surgery. Will this be ok if I just leave it alone for now??? Thank you

Your surgeon should be able to take the thread out easily

The good news is that you do not need another surgery to correct this issue. It looks as though one of the dissolvable sutures placed under your skin is being expelled by the body, and has become irritated and inflamed. Visit your surgeon and they should be able to take it out no problem, and your other symptoms will resolve after it’s been removed.

Exposed Suture following Facelift Revision

Unfortunately the exposed suture needs to be remove. This is usually something that can be done in the office by your surgeon, and not require another procedure. Leaving it in place will cause continual inflammation and infection, which could become a bigger problem over time. Good luck.

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Retained Prolene Suture

It appears that you have a retained prolene suture that has resulted in a stitch abscess.  This suture will require removal and this should result in resolution of your symptoms.  It’s appropriate to contact your original surgeon who should be happy to help you.

Lump behind ear that oozed, than a blue thread appeared

It is most likely a suture that has migrated to the surface.  You may wish to schedule a follow up visit with the surgeon to did the revision.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Retained suture ...suture abscess

Unfortunatedly the imbedded suture in you skin is causing an inflammatory process and must be removed. It is acting as a foreign body and your body is rejecting it. You need to remove it and your problem will resolve.

Exposed suture after facelift

It looks like you have an exposed suture.  This can usually be addressed by taking  out the suture.  Please do not try and take it out yourself. Best to go back to your surgeon and have him/her address it as they know what they put where.  

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

It appears that you have a suture abscess behind the ear.  This happens when the body reacts to a foreign body and then tries to “spit” it out. It should be fine and will heal.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Suture Extrusion Post facelift

This is fortunately not a major problem. This appears to be a permanent suture that has eroded through the skin, which has become infected - simple removal of the suture is required. This should result in complete resolution of the problem.

Wilfred Brown, MD

Blue stitch behind ear, mountain or mole hill?

this is not a big deal. it is a suture sinus with the suture ready for plucking. go see your surgeon and it will take approximately 15 seconds to correct. I am pretty sure he will not charge you. do it today!

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

See Your Surgeon for the Stitch

The suture that eroded through the skin needs to be removed. See your facelift surgeon to have this done - it should be a straight-forward office procedure. Do not just wait - this could cause more trouble down the road if not addressed.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon