Can large breasted go small after mastectomy?

5ft 2 in and 117lbs previously large breasted 32DDD. I had a reduction in Sept 2014 and this is when the cancer was found in right breast. I had a bilateral mastectomy in March. Is it possible to get pleasing results using implants? I would like to be a big B cup are a small C cup. So far I haven't had good results.

Going smaller afte mastectomy

You absolutely can go smaller with mastectomy. There are multiple options available to you for reconstruction. Seek consultation with a plastic surgeon or 2 for their suggestions. Sometimes when going smaller, larger incisions are required to remove excess skin and the nipple may not be salvageable. A nipple graft - where you removed the nipple then sew it back to the new appropriate area may be an option. Sometimes to minimize the risk of skin loss (due to lack of blood supply after removng the underlying breast tissue)) the reconstruction is done in a staged fashion (more than one operation) but your outcome should be great when all is completed. Good luck and take care.

Thank you for your question, and I am sorry to hear about your breast cancer diagnosis. I hope that you are doing well.  As far as reconstruction after mastectomy, there are many options available to you, depending on the answers to some key questions that can be gathered in an exam with a plastic surgeon.  Many factors play a role in the decision as to the best surgical option for each breast reconstruction patient, and your surgeon will be able to facilitate those that will work best for your goals and desires. That being said, normally most large breast women can go smaller in their reconstructions after mastectomy, with a very good aesthetic outcome.    

Size of Breast after Mastectomy

In general the answer to your question is yes! Clearly more information is needed about your cancer treatment to make a definitive plan, however there exist techniques to reduce the skin envelope after a mastectomy to allow smaller breasts post reconstruction. The first step is to find a board certified plastic surgeon .

Hope this helps

Ritu Chopra, MD

Options

We would need more information about your cancer treatment and history to give you better advice. For instance, did you require radiation therapy?  If you are unhappy with your current reconstruction, please follow-up with your plastic surgeon or visit with another board certified plastic surgeon to explore your options.  To give any meaningful advice really requires an in-person consultation.  Best wishes,

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Breast reconstruction options

You would have to be seen and examined but your height and weight coupled with some measurements made on examination would let you know for sure.  I think it would be possible for you.

Three basic forms of breast reconstruction exist. You can use your own tissue, implants or a combination of the previous two techniques. Your own tissue can be used in the form of the DIEP flap, PAP flap, SGAP flap or fat grafting. Implants can be done in one stage or two stage. Two stage reconstructions are started by placing expanders at the time of mastectomy. Once they expanders are placed they are able to be inflated as determined by wound healing. The final type consists of combining any of the above techniques.

Can large breasted go small after mastectomy

Thank you for your question.  I am glad that your cancer was found and you were treated.  It sounds as you didn't have any radiation therapy.   I recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon for a detailed evaluation of your options.  You can have a smaller breast if you don't desire to be large. You can have implants and maybe even the anatomical implants may be best.  Please communicate this with your plastic surgeon.  Best of luck.