I am not healing after septorhinoplasty?

Sir/Mam, I had my surgery on 1st of september and i am not healing a little the tipe is fully swelled as 7 days after rhinoplasty there is nothing healed. Please help me sir i am very scared as my nose looks nothing healed. it is same as after 7 days of my surgery..

Swelling after surgery

Thanks for your question. Sorry to read of your concern. It has been 4.5 weeks since surgery. It sounds like you are likely just swollen still after surgery, and you have to give this more time. Go visit with your surgeon and see if steroids can be injected to help the swelling leave sooner. Hopefully, the swelling will go down and you will be happy with your result. Best of luck.

Recovering from rhinoplasty and swelling

Recovering from rhinoplasty is a healing process. Part of that process is waiting for swelling to go down to see your result. 

In the first 6-8 weeks the majority of swelling will go down. Over the next 6-9 months you'll experience a downward trending rollercoaster of swelling going up and down depending on your exposure to heat, sun, or salt. At one year, you're close to your final result; however, the nose is known to continue healing and refining by very small amounts for years after that. 

The swelling commonly goes down in an uneven way. First one side and then the other goes down, which may give the appearance of a crooked nose until the other side catches up. The tip is the last area to settle down. It's important to follow your surgeon's instructions and keep your follow-up appointments so your surgeon can track your progress toward a safe and happy outcome. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Although it is difficult to provide you with certainty in my reassurance to you without having before & after photos to review, I'd like you to be cognizant that nasal swelling is always present post-rhinoplasty and that it can, in some patients, last for 3+ months, depending on the thickness of the skin. Individuals with thicker skin (e.g. African, Latino) may have pronounced swelling for up to 6 months. In addition, the type of rhinoplasty is also impactful upon the degree of nasal edema after surgery, with the open rhinoplasty often resulting in a more prolonged edematous course than the close rhinoplasty. In the end, at only one week, it is too premature to determine the quality of the end-result of your rhinoplasty due to such edema. I strongly recommend that you follow-up with your surgeon sooner (yes you can do that!) to inquire further on your concerns and obtain reassurance. I often follow my patients closely and have an open-door policy for any surgical patient of mine who is dealing with post-operative anxiety/concerns so that I may be able to provide them with immediate reassurance. Best of luck!

Danny Soares, MD
Clermont Facial Plastic Surgeon