Will my implants get softer with time? (photos)

Silicone hp 550cc's under the muscle. 3 weeks post op and they seem to be hard and not very movable. My surgeon says massaging has no evidence it does anything positive. Should I massage them?

Post breast augmentation

At only 6 weeks it is still early in the healing process after breast augmentation. As the implants soften, settle and drop the breast shape will change along with cleavage. It can take 3-4 months before the implants look and feel like they belong to you. Be sure to keep any scheduled follow up appointments you have for his or her evaluation and advice . Good luck! 

Dean Vistnes,M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francsico Bay Area

#realself #breastaugmentation #drdeanvistnes

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Implants at 3 weeks

At three weeks you are still healing. You have to give them several months to soften. I recommend massage to my patients using round smooth implants, but there is not evidence that it prevents a CC.

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question. Right now, you are early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you. Then reassess final result at 6 months. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Will my implants (breasts) get softer with time?

You can expect your breasts to feel softer as more time passes from your date of surgery.  The muscle and overlying breast tissues need to stretch to accommodate your implants and this may take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months.  Massage, though unproven, may help but is not necessary.

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Will Implants Soften with Time?

It is common for your breasts to still feel hard after only 3 weeks, especially since you had fairly large implants placed. High profile larger volume implants will require a longer period of time before your breasts will stretch enough to allow them to settle into their final position. This may take 3 to 4 months. Continue to follow the postoperative care instructions of your surgeon for the best results.

Breast Implants getting soft

Feeling very firm 3 weeks after a breast augmentation is very normal. For the first 4-6 weeks, the implants settle into the pocket and the main amount of swelling decreases - this helps them get a little softer. Then it takes about 3 months for this very small amount of swelling to go away - that is when they are finally soft and moveable like a natural breast! You look great in clothes right away but they appear more firm when you don't have clothes on until about 3 months after surgery.
Implant massage is an older technique that was originally instructed for patients to do to decrease the risk of capsular contracture for implants that are above the muscle. It has not shown to decrease capsular contracture below the muscle though. I HAVE seen massage make the implant pocket bigger though so that the implant falls down to the side- yikes!
Best wishes in your recovery.

Will my implants get softer with time?

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure. It generally takes a few weeks-months for the breasts to "soften up" after breast augmentation.

Massage of breasts after breast surgery is not a universally accepted or agreed-upon  principle. Each plastic surgeon may have his/her opinion that is based on their specific/unique education, experience, and personal preferences. Their opinions may also be shaped by unfavorable results they have encountered in their practices.  
Therefore, once a patient has selected her plastic surgeon, best to follow his/her advise/instructions, as opposed to those of online consultants. Your plastic surgeon knows exactly what procedure was performed, how he/she obtains the best outcomes possible, how you are progressing, and is ultimately responsible for your care. Best wishes.