If I get a nose job, will it be noticeably smaller or will it best a waste of money? (Photo)

I have a very wide and long nose. The wideness my of my nose has to do with the bone. I guess what I'm asking is would a doctor be able to make the whole nose smaller and not as wide?

Rhinoplasty Candidate

Dear Torrr4, The simple answer is yes that you can have a rhinoplasty that will address your concerns and will refine your nose to better balance your facial aesthetics. I would suggest that you seek consultation with some experts in the field of rhinoplasty. During your consultation you can have imaging performed which will show you the possibilities of surgery and show you your proposed result taking into consideration your desires and your nasal anatomy. You will also have a chance to review your surgeons before and after photographs to ensure that he/she provides natural looking results that will balance your profile and overall facial aesthetics. Once these steps have been performed the surgeon will discuss in detail the exact techniques that will be used to attain your agreed upon desired result. See some examples in my rhinoplasty link below and video above. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question and photograph.

I would suggest submitting a frontal photograph of your nose for more accurate opinions. I would also recommend scheduling a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty so that they can perform a nasal examination and give you the best recommendations. The key is not to reduce the size of the nose to make it “smaller”, you want to reduce and refine your nose so it is proportional to the rest of your face. Based on your photographs, you may benefit from a tip rhinoplasty which includes trimming the lower lateral cartilages and placing precision sutures to refine the tip and make it look more pleasing along with shaving down excess cartilage or bone from the bridge to make it thinner. Best of luck in your endeavors!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Yes - with a closed, scarless rhinoplasty

Yes you can definitely get a smaller nose that fits your face with a closed, scarless rhinoplasty that doesn't inflict a scar in the middle of the painting. 

The key is harmony and artistry. Noses require significant skill and dedication to master. Find a surgeon who focuses 100% of his surgical practice on noses (aka don't get your nose from a breast surgeon!)

All the best!

Deepak Raj Dugar, MD

Rhinoplasty candidate

The nose is a 3-dimensional structure, so a full set of facial photographs are required to understand what needs to be accomplished with a very complicated  Nasal procedure.  A rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish narrowing the bridge, narrowing the tip, shaving down the dorsal hump, and narrowing the nostrils.  For more information and many before and after results, please see the link and the video below

If I get a nose job, will it be noticeably smaller or will it best a waste of money?

Hello Torrr4 - Thanks for your question. It is best for you to be seen in person to evaluate your nasal anatomy. From your picture, it seems as if you could be a good candidate for reduction rhinoplasty to alter your bridge, and narrow your tip structures. However, any change in your nose needs to be balanced off against your other facial structures. 

Good luck, 

Dr. Shah 

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Go visit a few surgeons and have your photos digitally manipulated, so you can see how you might look after rhinoplasty. You can be the judge whether it is a waist of time. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Will Nose be Noticeably Smaller after Rhinoplasty?

Your entire nose including the bridge and tip should be narrowed with rhinoplasty surgery so you achieve a natural balanced result. An experienced surgeon can show you multiple examples of what can be done in a nose like yours.

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD