Lower Body Lift Doctor Recommendation

I am considering lower body lift after gastric bypass done in 1996. Can you suggest a surgeon? This will be a once in a lifetime procedure and I want to get done in 8/09. I also at least need guidelines (I know it depends on MD and locale) when I interview doctors. Thank you!

Doctor Answers 16

How Do I Find A Surgeon?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
If you have not been given a recommendation by your bariatric surgeon then please go the American Society of Plastic Surgeons website to find several surgeons in your area. I would also suggest you have more than one consultation and be sure to ask how many of these procedures they do. It is also a good idea to look at before and after photos and ask to speak to one of their patients. Good luck.

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 178 reviews

Best MD for lower body lift

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would look for a board certified plastic surgeon who has expertise in caring for patients after weight loss. They should operate in an accredited facility. I personally have my patients stay 1-3 days after their procedures. Your safety is the most important thing. Make sure your doctor puts together a safe and effective operative plan for you.

Jeffrey Kenkel, MD
Dallas Plastic Surgeon

Choosing a Plastic Surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The number of patients undergoing massive weight loss surgery has grown significantly in the last ten years. For this reason, a large number of plastic surgeons have gained experience in this area. As a result, the majority of plastic surgeons are comfortable performing procedures in this category.

It's important to choose a plastic surgeon who's board certified and has experience performing this type of procedure. This surgeon should be someone who's easy to communicate with so you're able to develop a comfort level. When selecting a plastic surgeon, don't hesitate to have multiple consults. Always remember that your choice of plastic surgeon is the most important decision that you will make.

How to find a qualified lower bodylift surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I would look for a  board-certified plastic surgeon who specializes in reconstructive plastic surgery after massive weight loss.  Weight lost patients are different than patients who have not lost a significant amount of weight. For example, a weight loss patient's skin is more elastic and requires a more aggressive approach. In addition, a weight loss patient's muscle is pliable and has previously been stretched. I believe muscle work and plication is an internal part of the lower body lift.  I would look for a surgeon with a significant amount of experience in lower body lifts.  

J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 254 reviews

Lower Body Lift Doctor Recommendation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You can never go wrong by contacting the ASPS website and find board certified Plastic Surgeons in your area or the city in which you wish to have your surgery.  At your consultation please ask the surgeon for his experience in this procedure and review photographs of patients.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Finding a Surgeon for your surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question.

I don't know if you have already found your surgeon and had your procedure but in case you haven't, I would also suggest that you discuss this with your Bariatric Surgeon to see if he/she has any referrals for you. I would also ask that you visit the American Society of Plastic Surgery website and do some research on surgeon's who have experience with weight loss patients.

Good Luck!

Dr. recommendation in NY

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There are plenty of talented plastic surgeons in New York state.  I'd start by finding an ASPS or ASAPS member, and then narrow it down based on their experience with gastric bypass / massive weight loss patients.  Study their before and after photos, and find someone with a caring personality.


All the best,

Finding the right surgeon for you

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I recommend you visit with a American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) member surgeon who is board certified with the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Please visit the website for the ASPS to find a surgeon near you.

Lower body lift recommendations

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There are many good lower body lift surgeons in NY. You can find board certified plastic surgeons at the ASPS or ASAPS website and go from there.  Check out their results and go for some consults.  Good luck!

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Lower Body Lift Surgeon in Los Angeles

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I perform lower body lifts in patients who have undergone gastric bypass, lap band surgery, O band surgery, and gastric banding.  Weight loss can cause significant laxity of the skin that can be addressed with well placed incisions and a surgical body lift.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 95 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.