Am I a good candidate for coolsculpting?

I'm 29,5'4 and about 135 lbs. My goal weight is 125. My derm said I am a perfect fit for coolsculpting but he is the only one in the area who offers it. I've seen several reviews of people who their dr. said they were a great fit until after the procedure didn't work. He wants to do one large applicator on lower abdomen and small ones on outer thighs and muffin top. Do I actually seem a good fit or would something else be a better choice?

You will not lose 10 lbs via Coolsculpting!

"Great fit" for a procedure that only he offers? If it's so great then where are the other doctors in town? Under a rock?

If you want fat removal (especially pounds worth, not just a bit of contouring), see one or more ABPS-certified plastic surgeons for some balance and potential other recommendations.

Dr. Kane was right on with Mark Twain's quote (restated here for non-surgical fat removal procedures): "Beware the doctor who says he's got the only and best treatment for your concern."

Consider what ultrasonic liposuction can accomplish with one operation; don't just go with what sounds "easy" and "non-surgical." These options all work, but usually deliver less than their promise. If that's what you want, then by all means--just also save up for the liposuction procedure that really sounds like it would be best for you. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Candidate?

Thank you for your question. It is hard to answer your question without a photo. I would suggest a CoolSculpting consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who can further assess you to determine if you would benefit!

Coolsculpting

I appreciate your question.
The large applicator would work on the lower abdomen and the smaller ones on the sides/love handles

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Coolsculpting

Without seeing you and doing a physical exam it would be difficult to accurately predict if you are an appropriate candidate for this procedure.  From your description it does sound like you would be a good candidate esp if you do want a surgical procedure and no down time.    It would be best to go to a physician that offers both surgical options and nonsurgical options and does not have to talk you into one procedure or the other based on what is offered in their office and can give you an honest opinion depending on what your goals and downtime are. 

Suzanne Yee, MD
Little Rock Facial Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting Versus Liposuction

I find that multiple areas and full body shaping needs a liposuction procedures for best results , especially if you are looking to use the fat for other contouring or for hi definition procedures.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Are You A Good Candidate For CoolSculpting

Hi Mommy. The only way to really know if you are a suitable candidate for CoolSculpting is through an in-person consultation and evaluation. That being said, given your height and weight it is likely that you would be a candidate for treatment. However, you may need multiple rounds of treatment to get the best results. There are a lot of med spas out there that will just slap an applicator on anyone. These are the most common sources of the negative reviews you see. In the right candidates, the treatment is effective with outstanding results. If you have any doubts about your physician or the treatment plan that has been created for you then you should get a second opinion before moving forward. Hope this helps! 

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Is CoolSculpting (or Liposuction) best for me?

Dear mommy729: 

"To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail" - Mark Twain 

All patients have collections of genetically distributed fat that they cannot exercise or diet off. If your desires are for a very limited amount of fat reduction, CoolSculpting (CS) may be adequate for your needs. While surgical, Liposuction may be necessary to fulfill your expectations for more that a few hundred grams of fat reduction and contouring. 

I recommend you obtain a second opinion consultation from a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, well versed in non-, minimally invasive and surgical options so you will obtain your best evaluation and least biased recommendations. 

I wish you well. 

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Coolsculpting and selecting the right candidate

Coolsculpting is a fabulous procedure but the only way to see if you are a candidate is through an in person consultation.  From your description and the one of the treatments selected, it sounds like you are on the right track.  If you are concerned you should go for a consultation with another physician in a different location for a second opinion.  Please let us know how your procedure goes.

Am I right for CoolSculpting?

Photos would be helpful, but it is useful to know that you are near your ideal body weight and want contouring in specific areas.  The applicators have to fit the treatment area, and there has to be enough fat to fill the applicator when suction is applied.  CoolSculpting will work, but don't undertreat.  If you undertreat, you won't be happy.

Carmen Kavali, MD

Is Coolsculpting right for you?

With out seeing photos it is nearly impossible to tell you whether or not you are a good candidate for CoolSculpting.  Zeltiq, who manufactures the technology is one of the most professional and integrity based companies that my practice has had the pleasure of working with.  They are adamant about training and certifying technicians with new applications and information.  With that said, should you doubt the information you received from your physician than you should research the provider.  Read reviews from his treated patients, see before and afters, ask them how many treatments they have performed and schedule a second consultation.  I believe integrity plays a big role in patient selection.  I'm sure your physician feels the same.
The more informed you are about the provider and the technology you are considering, the better your expectations will be met.  By the way, a large spot on the abdomen and two smaller ones for muffin top are probably the most popular procedure we do.  I'm sure he has your best interest at heart.

Lee B. Daniel, MD
Eugene Plastic Surgeon