Not enough vacation days. What should I do?

At the job I currently have now, I haven't been out for a year. I know that at the very end of December I will be getting vacation days. I want breast implants but feel I may not get the amount of time I need off to heal. What should I do?

Returning to Work After Breast Augmentation

How soon you can return to work after a breast augmentation depends to a certain extent upon the type of work that you do. Less physically demanding (office jobs) are usually much easier to get back to than jobs that require a lot of movement especially arm movement. With modern surgical techniques which minimize trauma and good use of ice after surgery by the patient to minimize swelling, it is not unreasonable for most women to return to work in 3-4 days. I've had some patients go to movies that night and return to (office) work the next day. Most, however, will have their surgery on Wednesday and return to work the following Monday.For the best results seek the consultation of a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. They have a website listing all the certified plastic surgeons. Members of the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery will all be board certified in plastic surgery and have demonstrated an interest and special skill in cosmetic plastic surgery as well.

Breast Aug recovery

I generally recommend 5-7 days for recovery. If you are a candidate for placing the implant on top of the muscle, your recovery will be much shorter and easier.

Short Breast Augmentation Recovery

When Breast Augmentation is done gently without bluntly tearing through tissues, without touching the underlying ribs and cartilages and by preventing bleeding before it happens, there is a mild ache but no serious pain. A lot of pain can be avoided by these techniques as well as using local anesthesia around the implants. This allows a lot of women to return to a desk job in a few days. But
Not all women perceive pain the same. Some feel it more than others. Moreover, not all women have the same jobs. Most Plastic surgeons would rather you not be lifting anything heavier than 15 pounds for a few weeks. Lastly, if there are complications you will need further care.
For these reasons I would recommend you wait until you can take the time off and hope you don't have to use it. Dr. Peter A. Aldea
Memphis, TN

Missing work and BA surgery

Thank you for your question, and it is probably best that you wait until December. A late week surgery and weekend recovery is certainly possible. But the recovery after BA surgery varies widely from patient to patient as well as their level of discomfort during this time. Generally, the first 4-7 days are reserved for rest and overall recovery, and after that patients can slowly work their way back with gradual low risk activities. The recovery routine will best be determined by your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon so be sure to touch base with him/her on their specific recommendations.

Benjamin J. Cousins MD

Benjamin J. Cousins, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation generally does not require much "down time". You can typically have the surgery lets say on a Thursday and return to work that following Monday. You will have some soreness, but it typically is not anything that Ibuprofen cannot handle. Just make sure you are not taking any narcotic pain medication and are able to operate a vehicle safely before attempting to drive yourself. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Time off for breast implants

Thanks for your question. In my experience, using a more modern "24-hour recovery" breast augmentation technique for over 20 years now, the vast majority of my patients can go back to all but the most physical of jobs in a day or two. Certainly you will know you had an operation for about a week but except for resisted flexion of the pectoralis muscle, most other activities are quite doable. Good luck with your decision.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS