Surgery on one side of labia minora looks similar to how it did before surg this pic is 30 days post op. Is this normal? (Photo)

I had surgery on only one side of my labia minora 30 days ago. The side that surgery was done on is still super tender and sore and is still probably two to three times bigger than the other side. Will swelling go down more? I said before surgery that I wanted the sides to match in length Nervous for intercourse since its out so far. My doctor said it looks okay and the one side is just "chubbier"...not sure what to do :(

Surgery on one side of labia minor

Swelling and discomfort is normal after labiaplasty surgery although given a month has passed its worth scheduling a review with your plastic surgeon to rule out any concerns.  

Surgery on One Side

Hello and thank you for your question. My apologies for your concern, but with your photo being a bit dark it is hard to see. Here are some basic notes about the healing process provided to my patients:

Swelling after #Labiaplasty is usually present for several weeks.  It’s possible that swelling can persist for two or three months. Firmness of tissue can remain for 4-6 months.

Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery. The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks.  This will in part depend upon the #Labiaplasty technique used, the amount of bruising and they way in which your body heals.

Ice can help reduce swelling. Arnica and Bromelain may help. Direct massage may be useful as well.

If this issue continues it would be good to visit your surgeon again and make sure that it is just swelling and that the healing process is moving along properly. Good luck!

Surgery on one side of labia minora

Thank you for your question.   Although it has been a month and most of the swelling should have resolved.  I would still given some more time before making any decisions.  Sometimes the swelling just takes longer. 

Continue to follow all post op instructions and follow up closely with your surgeon for re evaluation and possible need for revision.

Keep us posted.

Labiaplasty symmetry

There is likely still some swelling on your right side which is contributing to the asymmetry you see.  The majority of the swelling after a labiaplasty resolves within the first two weeks, but it can take a few months for the swelling to completely resolve.  My patients are told to abstain from intercourse for six weeks after labiaplasty.  I would recommend close follow-up with your surgeon.  If things don't improve significantly by six months a revision may be necessary.  Make sure your surgeon is board certified and has a lot of experience with labiaplasty surgery.

Jeff T. Healy, MD
Oahu Island Plastic Surgeon

Unilateral labiaplasty 30 days post op

Sorry none of us can be of much help as it is difficult to say what is going on as we don't  know what your baseline was prior to surgery.  Give it a few more weeks and then get back you surgeon for an evaluation.

John R Miklos MD

Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai

Unilateral labiaplasty and swelling after surgery

It takes about 8 weeks for the tissue to heal and sutures to dissolve following labiaplasty surgery. At that point, if the right side is still longer than the left, you should ask your surgeon about a revision or consult with another surgeon for their input and expertise. In some cases, excess swelling after surgery can cause the tissue to stretch and may require a revision.

Postop labiaplasty

thank you for sharing your question. If the side that was trimmed is still sore as you describe it is probably still swollen. It is really too early to tell what the final result would be. I am sure this is frustrating to hear but I suggest you wait a couple of months before deciding that there was not enough taken. Best of luck to you. Stay in close community with your surgeon and I find you are still unhappy at three months you could consider another opinion. 

Mary Gingrass, MD

Swelling after unilateral labiaplasty looking not so good

It's hard to tell much more than the fact that you're swollen. If many stitches were placed, these would cause increased swelling as they dissolve. See what happens in a few more weeks, but defer sex until this resolves.

Surgery on one side of labia minora looks similar to how it did before surg this pic is 30 days post op. Is this normal?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph and I am sorry that your current results have not been what you anticipated.  It appears that an aggressive removal of your labia minora tissues was performed, except towards the upper portion of your right side.  Unfortunately at 30 days you will not see a significant change in the appearance of this tissue and a revision would be needed to help smooth and contour the area with the surrounding labial tissues.  See a labiaplasty surgeon in consultation in order to improve, and maximize, your results. 

Postop swelling

Yes, the swelling on the operated side will subside more. Don't worry and be patient . It will get better with time. Give it a few more months. 30 days is very early in the postoperative course of a labiaplasty. You should only consider doing something at least after 6 months. 

Cheri Ong, MD, FACS