How quickly do lips absorb filler? What is the best filler for staying power?

I had 1 vial of Juvederm Ultra about 6 weeks ago. It looked great at first but now it's barely even visible that I even had filler. Is it common for filler to be absorbed this quickly and is there another filler that has better staying power? Thanks for your responses.

Lip Fillers and Longevity

The fillers all last between six months and a year depending on which filler you use and how much filler you inject.  I would recommend Juvederm Ultra Plus if longevity is the main consideration.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

#lipaugmentation

fillers in the lips tend to last any where form 4-5 months but it depends upon the kind of filler you're using. most of my lip filler patients return for fillers between 4 and 5 months. 

Misbah Khan MD, FAAD, FACMS

I had 1 vial of Juvederm Ultra about 6 weeks ago. It looked great at first but now it's barely even visible.

Hi, I have performed mnay Lip Augmentations, over the past 30 years, using various dermal fillers and lip implants.  Juvederm Ultra is the thickest dermal filler that can be used in the lips.  Other dermal fillers like Radiesse, Restylane Lyft and Voluma are only recommended to be injected into fatty tissue areas which the lips have none.  Lip implants might be an option and I prefer the Permaloip implant.

Hopt his helps.

Longevity of lip filler is variable

Juvederm should last as long as any filler put in the lips. Duration in lips is decreased because of the significant movement the mouth makes. Adding small doses of Botox around the lips helps to increase the duration somewhat. After multiple treatments, the lips tend to hold the filler better. Some of that is related to collagen formed in reaction to the filler. I tell patients about 4 months with lip filler.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Thank you for your question and I am sorry that your results have not been what you anticipated.  Fillers placed into the lips undergo significant fluctuations in size as a result of the initial swelling that occurs with the injections as well as the physical material being placed.  Over 2-4 weeks the swelling will resolve losing some lip volume and the material will soften - patients thinking that much of the filler has been broken down.  You should then maintain these results for a few months.  Without before and after photos to demonstrate any change you may need more filler placed to match the size of your lips after your first treatment. 

Filler staying power in the lips...

Thank you for your question.  Initially you are seeing swelling and tissue reaction from the injections, typically at 2 weeks this has gone down and that will be the ultimate outcome.  While most HA fillers are indicated for 12 months, typically we see less duration of effect in the lower face and in particular the lips due to the constant motion of the lips potentially breaking down the filler sooner.  Normally I would expect about 9 months of duration for Juvederm in the lips.  If you are seeing no results after 6 weeks it is best tot return to your physician for further evaluation and management.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip Filler Question

Thank you for your question! You are absolutely correct that hyaluronic acid fillers will appear "more swollen" immediately after it is injected (and that can last for up to two weeks). The immediate fullness you are recognizing is both product, as well as tissue inflammation from the skin being injected several times with a syringe. Depending on which filler you use, some products are on-label for more product to be added into the area you had treated. My best advice would be to return to the injector you that treated you, or a board-certified facial plastic surgeon's office to be assessed and discuss best possible treatment outcomes. No one should be able to comment or make recommendations on your specific situation until seeing you personally. All the best to you!

Be well,

Dr. Todd Hobgood, MD

Todd Christopher Hobgood, MD
Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon