How should I prepare for the period of time after my NeoGraft surgery when I cannot wear my wig?

I am a female, scheduled for NeoGraft (2,000 FUE) surgery and am concerned about my appearance while the new hair grows in. What kinds of things do your patients do to look nice while their hair is growing in? I currently wear a wig but understand that won't be an option after surgery.

Other options to cover your head

We have actually had a few women ask this question when they are here for a consultation, as well as before and after surgery. We have found that the most successful solution has been to get either a loose fitting bandana, scarf or head band to cover up your head during this healing process, until you can safely wear your wig again. I hope this helps

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Aesthetic options for after the NeoGraft

Actually, you may wear a loose fitting hair piece 5 days after a NeoGraft procedure. I have had patients wear them 2 days after the procedure without any problems, but 5 days is safer.Thank you for your question.

Aesthetic options for after the procedure

For approximately 2-3 weeks, it is best to avoid anything putting pressure on the transplant site, wigs included.  A viable option would be a hat, ensuring that it has a high cap so it doesn't make any contact with the transplant site. A "trucker hat" is commonly used by NeoGraft patients for this very reason.  

Pare for the period of time after my NeoGraft surgery when I cannot wear my wig?

Discuss your concerns with the practice where you will undergo the procedure as protocols after surgery vary. If you wear a wig it must be only after 2-3 weeks following transplant surgery for limited times during the day. A hat might be a better option. It's sometimes possible to shave the donor area in such a way that he rest of your hair can cover it after the procedure too.

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

NeoGraft

It depends on the area and hair color.  Light hair will show the scabs more than dark hair. Hair with good density can hide scabs better than low density hair.  Grafts in mid scalp are hidden better than front.  If you are careful, you can wear a hat but be sure to run it by your treating physician first.

Tim Neavin, MD

Female NeoGraft Patients

Thank you for your question C_list. Wearing a wig is certainly an option after surgery. I suggest you wear it only when you feel it is necessary as you might want to limit any chance for irritation. Keep in mind that your diligent care during the one to two week recovery period will maximize your chance for great results. Always consult a board certified physician to ensure you receive the highest-quality knowledge, skill, care and treatment available.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

For NeoGraft surgery you will need to shave your head so if you're a woman you'd probably want to wear a wig.

For NeoGraft surgery you will need to shave your head so if you're a woman you'd probably want to wear a wig.  Wearing a wig is like wearing a hat which you can do even a day after surgery.   Ask your doctor on the best plan post op.  

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon