Is it possible for a person to have a BBL and Tummy Tuck done at the same time and if so is it safe?

BBL and Tummy Tuck

It´s actually common to combine these procedures. As long as you´re healthy, you find a surgeon who is an expert on each thing and feels comfortable with performing the operation, you´re good to go.

BBL and tummy tuck at the same time?

Thank you for your question. Combination procedures are safe and very effective in the right hands.  The surgeon HAS to be an expert in EACH procedure and must have a lot of experience in performing combination procedures and can minimize the operative time.  For example, we work in a team and would take around 4-5 hours for the complete operation.  This allows us to get better results with less surgical time and less trauma. Combination procedures can give powerful results but SAFETY is KEY.  You definitely have to choose your surgeon correctly and make sure that he/she has the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety.  Don’t settle for less than a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with specialized expertise in this procedure.

It is possible to do both a BBL and a tummy tuck at the same time in certain patients. Combining these two procedures does increase the amount of time under anesthesia, so you want to be healthy to consider this. Also, certain body types are not good candidates, so make sure that you see a board certified PS and undergo a consultation. Positioning post op is more difficult after combining these two surgeries, so you also want to make sure you are up for the challenge. 

BBL and Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question. I recommend that patients who are interested in a Tummy Tuck and BBL procedure undergo them at separate times. After a tummy tuck procedure, you will need to rest on your back, it will be difficult to stand up straight and you will be spending a lot of time sitting and laying down. After a BBL, it is important to rest on your stomach and stay off of your butt so that as much of the fat as possible survives. You will not want to compromise either procure so it's best to have your tummy tuck, fully recover and then have a BBL procedure. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

BBL and Tummy Tuck

I prefer to stage the two because I feel that it increases the risk of complications if done together.  Best of luck.

Brazilian Butt Lift And Tummy Tuck At The Same Time

Can it be done? Yes. Should it be done? Depends on you. If you're okay with only laying/sleeping on your sides and then eventually being able to lay/sleep on your stomach as the tightness eases up from the tummy tuck for the first 6 weeks after surgery, then sure. In my practice, I stage the two procedures. I advise my patients to put zero pressure on the buttocks for the first 6 weeks in order to avoid killing the fat and flattening the rounded contour. No one wants a bigger, FLATTER butt! In my practice, avoiding pressure on the buttocks starts from the moment the BBL surgery is completed. Even in the recovery unit, IMMEDIATELY after BBL surgery, my patients are on their stomach. Immediately after a tummy tuck, a patient normally cannot lay flat on their abdomen or it may ruin the result/open the incision. And if a patient can lay flat on the abdomen after a tummy tuck, then likely not enough skin was removed. After BBL surgery, for home use and for the ride home, I provide a specialized roll (not a donut roll, as donut rolls put pressure on the buttocks) so that my patients can sit during that initial 6-weeks. Why compromise either your tummy tuck result or your BBL result just to get it done in one surgery? That shortsighted reasoning may ultimately result in you needing a second surgery or revision surgery anyway! 

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

It is possible to have the two procedures done at once but you have to find a doctor willing to combine them during one procedure and be willing to follow their aftercare instructions as the recovery will be more intense than staging them. I generally stage these procedures simply because you will have to refrain from sitting on your buttocks for at least 2 weeks after a BBL which means you would need to sleep on your stomach, which may not be optimal when just having a tummy tuck. This reduces complications and provides for a more comfortable post-operative recovery. Best of luck in your endeavors!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

BBL and tummy tuck can be done at the same time

Yes, for the healthy patient, a tummy tuck can be done at the same time as a BBL.  Make sure you consult with a surgeon with experience with this combination procedure.  

Jason E. Leedy, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Brazilian Butt Lift and Tummy Tuck at the same time

That's a great question. Whereas some operations can be done at the same sitting, such as a breast lift or a breast augmentation and a tummy tuck- it would not make sense to have a Brazilian butt lift and a tummy tuck at the same sitting. One of the main post-operative instructions with a Brazilian Butt lift is that you have to keep pressure off the buttocks for at least 3 weeks- this means that you are sleeping on your abdomen. If you had a tummy tuck- sleeping on your abdomen is going to be problematic. Also, many times the abdomen is the harvesting site for the fat that is placed in the buttocks. Many plastic surgeons do not like combining liposuction of the abdomen with a tummy tuck as there can be potential wound healing issues. Another issue is that anytime that multiple procedures are performed at one sitting, the patient is under anesthesia for a longer time frame and this can lead to a higher risk of complications. 

Personally, my opinion would be to stage these two procedures. 

Helen Perakis, MD
Nanuet Plastic Surgeon

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well... Yes it is possible. Actually you can have those procedures at once, if your hemoglobin levels are at least in 12.5, consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that can help you to achieve your desired look.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD