Multiple Procedures For 49 year old Busy ICU RN following 2 C-sections 12 years ago.

I am a RN with a limited downtime to about 2-3 weeks before I would need to return to work. I am wanting to get a Mommy Makeover that would require a full TT, BA w/implant, and lipo of abd, flanks, back, and inner thighs. I would also like a mini face lift and was wondering how safe is it to combine these multiple procedures due to limited downtime?

Combining Multiple Procedures in a Mommy Makeover & Recovery

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.  It is not uncommon to combine procedures that you are inquiring about.  Also, combining these #procedures may decrease anesthetics, costs, and recovery time. The best method and #technique for your #procedures will be discussed in greater length during your one-on-one consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon.Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting.
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain.
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined. 

Multiple procedures

Combining procedures is feasible to a point. Your existing medical problems or lack of and the total time under anesthesia are important factors to consider. Visit a PS to get specific recommendations on what is needed and then you can choose how you would like to proceed.

For multiple procedures

Although it might be safe to do all of the procedures you mentioned in one sitting, I would prefer to stage it just based upon the amount of anesthesia time. A lot of it depends on your size. If you have a lot of skin resection and abdominal fat resection combined with liposuction, that increases the recovery time. Realistically, surgeons fatigue plays a role in getting good outcomes as well.

Edward S. Gronka, MD
Fayetteville Plastic Surgeon

Multiple procedures with limited time off

It has been shown that multiple procedures can be performed during the same anesthetic with no increased risk. However, this depends heavily on the type of procedure done and the total length of time under anesthesia. Also, the health of the patient must be taken into consideration as well as the comfort level and experience of the surgeon. In general, a facelift can take anywhere between 1.5 and 4 hours depending what is done, so adding 4 hours to everything else increases risk. You may want to prioritize your desires and have a lengthy discussion with your plastic surgeon.

Gustavo E. Galante, MD
Schererville Plastic Surgeon

RN with limited time

It is possible to perform a tummy tuck and a breast augmentation together. If you need limited liposuction of the thighs that would also be OK. I would wait and perform the mini face lift afterwards due to the amount of time in the OR. I have perform many TT and breast augmentations together would no post operative problems.

Deborah Sillins, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

How much surgery can I have

Thank you for your question. There is no hard and fast rules about how much plastic surgery is too much for one session. It's been my opinion, over 25 years of doing this, that the cutoff is about five hours. It's certainly fine to combine the tummy tuck, liposuction and breast surgery. Depending on how long it takes someone to do a facelift, that would be too much for me. I would separate that out that out to another surgical endeavor. In my experience, with a well done short scar face lift, most patients of mine are presentable with a little cover-up makeup within a weeks time. Hope this is helpful. Best of luck. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Mommy make-over, breast augmentation and liposuction - face lift too?

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over and face lift.
  • You can certainly combined the tummy tuck, liposuction and breast augmentation.
  • You will need to have Exparel for pain and a full 3 weeks before going back to work -
  • You cannot have a face lift at the same time it is too much surgery -
  • Your safe length of surgery is 6 hours.
  • When you go back to work, you should wear compression stockings to support your circulation and can do supervision but no heavy lifting for another week at least -
  • Have no other obligations for 6 full weeks after surgery because you are likely to tire easily.
  • Enjoy your result!
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Multiple Procedures For 49 year old Busy ICU RN following 2 C-sections 12 years ago

Mommy makeovers involving breast, tummy, and liposuction procedures are relatively common. However, not sure how "extensive" the mini facelift is so if you have a limited amount of downtime, probably best to stick with the breast and tummy and liposuction procedures. Good luck!!

Mommy makeover

Frequently I will combine procedures such as abdominoplasty liposuction and breast augmentation and even breast lift, however, adding a mini facelift is going to be longer than I am comfortable doing. Also I usually would not liposuction the inner thighs with all the above procedures on the abdomen and back at the same time unless it is a really small amount because it tends to swell more and it would be safer to do that separately. Also 3 weeks to return to work is fine but you will still be tired. ICU work is hard. You will need help for the first 6 weeks moving/repositioning patients after the tummy tuck regardless of whether you do the other procedures. If you have help though I think it would be okay. I have people doing nonphysical work after this at 2 weeks all the time, but they all say they are tired after work.

W. John Bull, MD

Combining procedures

This is commonly done. You will need to be seen in person to determine what can be done safely. Definitely seek out a board certified plastic surgeon in your area with an expertise in breast surgery and body contouring surgery for a consultation. Be sure to express your expectations and goals to the surgeon you choose. Good luck! 

Dean Vistnes, M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area

#drdeanvistnes #realself #tummytuck #breastaugmentation #bbl #mommymakeover

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon