I am wondering which implant type I should choose?

I am 5'2 125 pounds and I am a size 32A I have my first appointment this Tuesday. I know I would like to be a small C. I drive a lot for work and want to make sure I don't over do it with the size. I also want to know what the major difference is with the different types? I would like to breast feed later in life (I do not have children now) any advice from anyone would help!

Which Implants?

Thank you fro your question. It is difficult to make recommendations without a full assessment and without your full measurements. I'd recommend booking a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. They be able to make recommendations based on your measurements and goals to ensure you ahcieve your desired appearance. 

Take care.

Implant selection

Hello, implants need to be chosen with a  surgeon in person because they will take into consideration your unique anatomy.  It sounds like you have already put a lot of thought into how implants might affect your lifestyle, which is really helpful for the surgeon.

Breast Implant Sizing

The exact choice of size that will work best for you is an important decision that you should make with your board certified plastic surgeon. 3D Vectra imaging and simulation, the Mentor gel sizing system, rice filled implants at home in your bra, and bio-dimensional analysis are all methods that can be employed to help you come to a decision. Because size is such an important component of decision making in breast augmentation our office employs all of these techniques with each patient to ensure the highest rate of satisfaction possible. Good luck with your decision!

Implant type

since you are an A cup, i would generally select or prefer a silicone gel implant for you. this is related to the more natural feel for someone starting in the A cup range. having said that, there is no perfect implant. both saline and gel have their own pros and cons. And both do a very nice job with enlargement, the silicone gel feels more natural to the touch.either implant is the same in regards to breast feeding. they should interfere.

What is the right choice?

Thanks for your question.  You bring up great points in helping to chose what type of implant you would like to receive.  

A detailed consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon is important to establish your postoperative goals and determine what implant size and type would be best for you. In my practice I like to review different photos of my patients to establish what shape and volume they seem to like most. It is also very important to perform a detailed exam to evaluate the thickness of your breast tissue, skin tone and the dimensions of your chest. I like to have my patients try on sizers to get a feel for what they may look like and also appreciate how heavy the implants might feel. It is also useful to incorporate some additional 3-D imaging to get a sense for the subtle change between different implant types.

The advice I give to my patients focuses on 3 key elements.

1. Select a board certified plastic surgeon that you can communicate with comfortably to establish your desired look.

2. Establish that your plastic surgeon has your best interest in mind and make sure that they can explain your procedure to you in a way that makes sense and makes you comfortable. I want my patients to walk out of my consults and feel like they “get it” with respect to their surgical plan. I want to make sure that my patients can understand what a specific implant may deliver in regard to their results. This is common when we are trying to determine the size a patient desires, and also whether or not to select a shaped highly cohesive implant compared to a round silicone gel or saline implant.

3. Make sure that you understand what to expect in terms of your recovery and postoperative instructions. In my practice I give my patients additional instructions and tools to help them recover. In addition, I follow all of my patients closely after surgery and visit with them at 1 week and 3 weeks after surgery to make sure they are healing as expected.

Cheers and Best Wishes!
Steven Camp MD

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Find a plastic surgeon you trust to guide you

Saline or silicone are both good breast augmentation options. Either one will help you achieve the size you want, and either one has the same risks associated with breastfeeding (most women with breast implants are able to breastfeed). Saline runs the risk of causing visible ripples, while silicone has the most natural look and feel. But each woman has to make her own choice about type. My advice is to find a board-certified plastic surgeon who you really trust and with whom you feel comfortable discussing these options. Best of luck to you!

Adam L. Basner, MD

Silicone or saline

Hello dear, thanks for post,

The choice of which type of breast implant to use is a very common one. There are advantages and disadvantages with both, so it's very important for you to sit down with your plastic surgeon and discuss everything in detail.

The short answer is they are both safe options. Silicone implants have a silicone shell and are filled with a cohesive silicone gel. Saline implants also have a silicone shell, but are filled with saline.

In my view, the advantage of a saline implant is that you need a smaller incision during surgery (about 3 cm or just over an inch) and if it does leak, you will know (the breast will flatten as your body absorbs the saline) and so you will be able to have it replaced. The disdvantage to saline implants is that in some patients, especially very thin ones or if they are placed above your pectoralis muscle, they can show some rippling or folds of the implant wall.

Silicone implants have the advantage of a much more natural look and feel, even in thin patients and even in cases where we place the implant above the muscle. The disadvantage is that you need a slightly longer incision to introduce the implant (4- 4.5 cm in most cases) and you often will not know if it leaks or ruptures. This is why the implant companies recommend an MRI of the breast every couple of years to view the implant to rule out a leak. For many women this is a minor inconvenience for the superior look and feel that silicone implants offer.
In the end, for most patients we can achieve a very nice, safe result with either option, so the choice is truly yours.

Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

It is far more important to pick your surgeon than to pick your implant. There really are not any differences between the implants as far as breast feeding later or in how you will look after surgery. Saline implants tend to be more palpable and wrinkle more in thinner women with less breast tissue than silicone implants. Saline implants leak at a slightly higher rate per year, but it is easier to tell when they leak because the breast gets smaller. Studies on longevity have not shown that one type lasts longer than the other.

Choose a surgeon who will take the time to educate you on the options and help you determine the best option for your body type.

Which Size implants

My answer this question would be to recommend that you find a plastic surgeon with Vectra 3-D imaging who can then show you what the different sizes, shapes, and ratios of projection in each implant would look like on your body. There are so many choices today and in my opinion, there's a good reason to use each of the different types of implants depending on what the person starts with and what their desires are. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Thank you for your question. Breast implant selection is an exciting, but stressful part of the breast augmentation process as there are so many choices. Unfortunately it is impossible to recommend the best implant style, size or shape without an in-person examination that allows for the measurement of key breast parameters, as well as permits an in-depth discussion as to your desired goals and outcome. I would recommend you voice your concerns with your surgeon, they are in the best position to ensure that the implants the two of your decide upon are the right ones to meet your expectations. It sounds as if it may be wise for you to "try on" several of the implants so that you can have a better visual representation as to what they would look like. Best wishes!