I have a tender spot in my pubic area next to where my drainage tubes were. Is that normal?

Drains

That is entirely normal. The area where a drain exits will typically be firm and red as a reaction to the tube itself. This should improve with time.

Soreness around drain site

Soreness around a darin site can have very different significance depending whether the drain is in place or if this has developed days or weeks later.  You will want to contact your plastic surgeon and make an appointment to have it evaluated in person.  Good luck 

John M. Weeter, MD

Tenderness is never normal

Any question that is answered without actually examining the patient is not very meaningful.  See your surgeon so that the tender spot can be examined. It may just be irritation from drain. However it could even be infected. It is best to get it checked. 

Vasdev Rai, MD

Tummy Tuck - Post Op Drain Site Discomfort

Thank you for your question. It is common to have some discomfort in area surrounding your drain sites. It is best to have an in-person examination by your board certified plastic surgeon to ensure an infection or fluid collection is not present. Hope this helps.

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your surgery!  Without photographs it is difficult to offer definite advice as tenderness may be normal after drain placement and drain removal or it may be a sign of a localized infection.  Voice your concerns to your plastic surgeon, they may want to see you in-person based on how your healing has progressed.

Pain by drain site

This is not abnorm,al and simple heat and massage is all that you will need to get this to settle down.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Tender spot at drain site.

Pain in this area can be due to several things. You did not mention how long ago your surgery was.  Sometimes it is simply normal postoperative pain. It is possible to have more pain on one side than the other.  You might also have a drain site infection or inflammation. If there is any redness, swelling, or drainage this is more indicative of an infectious process.   An abscess may present as a lump underneath where the drain was.  If it has been longer since your procedure, scarring is another possibility.  My advice is to follow up with your surgeon for an evaluation. Best wishes to you!.

Erik Miles, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon