I would like to know how long should I take off work if I work in the auto industry?

Hi all I was reading things online about time off of work. I haven't seen anything for women who work for auto plants. I don't put together the trucks anymore but I do put parts onto the line. Which is very light. Now I would like to know is how much time should I request off to get this type of treatment done ?

Returning to Work

Thank you for your question. I recommend that you ask your Plastic Surgeon to advise you on this. Each surgeon has their own preferred post op protocols. Most of my patients can return to work by two weeks if not sooner, however any strenuous upper body work or heavy lifting would have to wait until 6 weeks post op.

All the best

Breast augmentation post-operative instructions

Thank you for your question. I normally allow my patients to go back to their desk jobs two to three days after surgery. Patients are allowed to do light aerobic activities after 1 week and resume heavy lifting and full activity after 4 weeks. Heavy lifting would include anything more than 10 to 15 pounds. If your work does not require any heavy lifting then you may resume work in as little as 3 to 5 days. All that being said, ask your surgeon about his or her specific postoperative recommendations.

Breast augmentation

Most of my patients can go back  to light duty or desk work within 5-7 days.  I prefer that patients hold off to go back to light aerobics for 3-4 weeks and avoid strenuous exercise for about 4-6 weeks.

When can I go back to work

The answer to this question will be variable depending on the techniques used by each plastic surgeon that answers the question. I tell my patients that the vast majority of them can go back to all but the most physical of jobs within a week. With a job that requires you to work with your arms below your shoulders without putting undue stress on the pectoralis muscle such as operating a heavy press or turning the wheel of a heavy truck, most patients find a comfortable to go back to work within just a few days. Certainly, ask your plastic surgeon about their preferences in this regard. Good luck with your surgery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Resuming activity after a breast aug...

Thanks for sharing your question. I can appreciate your concern.

The usual time is 2 to 3 weeks. The heavy lifting has to be limited to 5-10 lbs for the first 3-4 weeks. if you can control that, you can go back to work earlier.

Finally, make sure that you have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Wishing you the best in your journey

You can return to work after 5-14 days

it really depends on how much work you are doing, even if it is light. Also usually they will modify your work if you get a letter from your PS that simply states that you had surgery and to put you on "light duties."
they are not allowed to ask what type of surgery you had, i believe. 
I think for your line of work 10-14 days might be better if you have to spend most of your  time, using your arms and chest. However if you can do more paper and phone work, you should be fine in 5 days.

david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation and returning to work

More than 90 percent of my patients go back to work on the fifth day after surgery if they work in an office setting. I recommend that my patients who must use their arms more to lift, push or pull (such as police women, nurses, hairstylists, waitresses, etc.) to return to work toward the end of the second week, around the 14th day after surgery. Although they may experience a little discomfort, they manage. My preference is for women to wait until the 21st day to resume heavier lifting, pushing or pulling. At this point, most soreness is gone. It's always important to listen to your body. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Time off work

Hello, my patients with factory work jobs that don't involve heavy lifting usually go back to work within 1-2 weeks but they avoid heavy lifting or vigorous exercise for 6 weeks.  However, I would recommend discussing this with your surgeon because they will be able to assess your healing progress before advising you to return to work.

In my practice, given your line of work ( although "light" can still be strenuous and physically demanding),  I would recommend 10 to 14 days off work if possible.  Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to more specifics. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Depends really on your work

I really don't see why you have to take too much time off from work after breast augmentation especially if you really are doing light work.
Most of my patients return to work in a few days.
Best Wishes,
Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS