How soon can I fly/travel out of state for work after my BA? I have to be able to lift luggage and I don't won't to overdo it.

I'm getting 500 cc silicone over the muscle (due to a slight sag), breast base width 13.4. I'm 5'2, 143lbs, exercise and lift weights. I travel every other week for work and carry my purse and 2 roller bags. My surgery is Sept 21 and I'm scheduled to fly out for work on Oct. 5. Should I be ok to lift luggage then? I will mainly be lifting it in and out of the car and all my luggage has wheels.

Travel after breast augmentation

Hi, jaybay08.  Thanks for your question.  All plastic surgeons differ in our post-on our post-op instructions.  Pleas check with your plastic surgery for his/her guidance.  Although you may be able to fly couple days after surgery, you should avoid heavy lifting for 4 weeks.  Perhaps, you can lighten your luggage or ask someone to help you with your luggage.  Best wishes with your surgery and travels.  

Traveling for breast augmentation and complications

Hi,

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you. It is important to remember that a board certified plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, and concerns.

Travel is fine after breast augmentation as long as you follow lifting restriction and activity guidelines.

Dr. Michael J. Brown
Northern Virginia Plastic Surgeon

2 weeks for lifting

If everything goes as expected, I ask for 2 weeks of no lifting more than 5 pounds.  However, you may rethink your choice of going over the muscle. It is typically a descent short term fix, but will need to be moved in a few years. Discuss with your surgeon. Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant - When I lift?

I generally do not like my patient's to lift anything > 8 lbs for 4 weeks while your incisions are healing. I would ask your surgeon about his/her preferences for lifting and of course the weight of your luggage is important. Packing a number of lighter weight bags is better than 1 heavy one. Good luck. 

#PlasticSurgery #BreastAug #Implants #surgeryprep #postoprecovery #healing #returntowork 

No travel for two weeks

After breast implant surgery, I advise the patients to take one week off from work. At that point we take out their stitches and teach them the implant massage technique. We suggest 5 times per day with the massage and no bra for one month. The patients may return to work, but may not engage in any strenuous activity. At one month, the patients start to wear a soft cup bra with no underwire and can start low impact cardio. At two months they can wear an underwire bra and engage in more strenuous physical activity. Breast massage continues forever, although only once per day. We prefer the patients not fly for two weeks after surgery.  With respect to luggage, you have to fit yourself into the general restrictions that are described for exercise.

Travel post op

You may be ok to travel/fly at that point after surgery if your Plastice Surgeon has cleared you, however if you were my patient, I would advise you to ask for help with your luggage- ask someone to lift it for you. I advise patients to avoid heavy lifting for 6 weeks post op.

Ask your Plastic Surgeon what they recommend for you.

All the best

B

Be sure you understand the benefit of above or below the muscle and the impact on feeling, seeing the implant and mammogram.  Also, be careful in lifting the luggage, it is pec activity so if you are above the muscle just go slow.  If you decide behind the muscle then avoid trying to put it in overhead as that is significant strain.  Best of luck!

Breast augmentation

I appreciate your question.
I have a lot of patients that fly in for surgery
I ask them to stay for a week 

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Traveling Following Breast Augmentationg

Dr. John A. Kotis, Chicago Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, answers a question from a Real Self inquiry regarding Travel Following Breast Augmentation.

John A. Kotis, DO, FACS, FACOS

Travel after BA

These are questions you want answered by your plastic surgeon.  Postoperative instructions are dictated by what is done at the time of surgery and the preference of the surgeon.  It is typically ok to travel shortly after breast augmentation but there is usually a lifting restriction of not more than 10-15 lbs for the first 3-6 weeks.  Please discuss with your surgeon.