Can you feel anything during Labiaplasty surgery?

im 15 and one side of my inner labia is longer than the other. Its very uncomfortable in different situations, when my underwear are in a bunch, it hurts to adjust because i find myself tugging on my inner labia when i was just trying to pick my underwear out of there. when i go to put a tampon in, my inner labia gets in the way.Can you feel anything at all during surgery? Am i maybe a canidate for this surgery? what are the pros and cons?please put me at ease and answer me. Please and thank you

Labiaplasty in Los Angeles

Our office specializes in outpatient labiaplasty surgery. Most of the cases are done under local anesthesia and patients tolerate the procedure well with minimal pain. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 
Los Angeles

Thank you for your question.I perform labiaplasty under general anesthesia so my patients do not feel anything during surgery.They will be sore and swollen with mild pain following surgery; however, I prescribe medications to help with the pain and swelling.Based on your symptoms, you absolutely are a candidate for labiaplasty.Be sure to have a board certified plastic surgeon perform your labiaplasty.

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD

Hi! A labiaplasty is performed under local anaesthesia with sedation. The sedation usually helps to allay the anxiety of the patient & the reduce sting of the local anaesthesia. Post op, you could expect some discomfort which could last for 24-48 hours, & usually nothing beyond that. All the best!!

Feeling During Labiaplasty Surgery

Most labiaplasty I perform these days is under local anesthesia (numbing shots) in the office. Patients feel a bit of a sting when these shots are going in, but afterward only touch and pressure is felt by most. Saying you won't feel a thing is a bit of an exaggeration, but I have not had to cancel such an operation due to pain. For patients who are anxious about "feeling anything," I recommend surgery center time for more involved anesthesia. Few women take me up on the offer of more involved anesthesia however. :)

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Feel anything during labiaplasty?

Your story and concerns are in good company with almost ever other patient that undergoes labiaplasty and/or clitoral hood reduction (aka hoodectomy)...and results in a major self-confidence booster. Because you are only 15, you will have to enlist the understanding and cooperation of a parent that is willing to provide surgical consent. 
Labiaplasty, which most commonly involves surgical reduction of the labia minora (inner/thinner lips), has become a relatively common procedure over the last ten and even more so last five years.  Most commonly it is done under light sedation (aka twighlight sleep) with local anesthesia, in which case the patient should feel no pain during the operation. Whether the surgery is done using a laser, scalpel, or scissors does not really matter but what does matter is "symmetry". Symmetry is the most important aspect to the final aesthetic result. Most women, just like yourself, prefer to have as much of the darker pigmented edges removed as possible. Also, it's not how much tissue is removed but how much is left remaining because a certain amount is necessary to maintain proper form and function - typically ~10 mm or so. To achieve these three most important elements, I have found that the "Trim Method" satisfies best. It is extremely important to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in this operation (does at least 1 - 2 per week). It may cost you a bit more but it is this type of result you will want to live with for the rest of your life. Typical (all inclusive) fee at my office/surgery center is $4500.

Although there is no guarantee, women frequently do seek clitoral hood reduction (Hoodectomy) to improve exposure of the clitoris and hence better stimulation during sexual activity. By removing some of the excess &/or redundant skin concealing the clitoris, it becomes more readily exposed to sexual stimulation and hence a heightened sexual experience/orgasm is possible. Sometimes I recommend adding hoodectomy to labiaplasty to better harmonize the aesthetic outcome. Again, the key is seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist who performs this procedure regularly (>2-3 x/month) so that just the right amount of tissue is removed and just the right amount remains such that the clitoris is not constantly exposed and rubbing on clothing, etc... Typical fee for a hoodectomy is ~$3000 but reduced to about half that price if done along with a labiaplasty.

Now for recovery, because the labia tissue is so robust with blood supply it has an amazing ability to heal relatively quickly. Most patients are sore for 4-5 days before things start to get a lot better from there. Some patients can resume work before this time depending upon their occupation. No exercise for two weeks, no baths/jacuzzi or swimming for 3 weeks, and no sexual activity for typically 4 weeks. My patients are given an oral pain medication such as Vicodin or Percocet but icing the area for the first 48 hours and applying some custom made take-home topical local anesthetic cream seems to work the best. Glad to help.

Ryan Stanton, MD

Labiaplasty Anesthesia is an Art

My patients feel nothing at all when I conduct labiaplasty under local anesthesia. The process requires skill, patience and the right blend of anesthetic agents. I've performed these procedures on many women your age without discomfort.

Best anesthetic for Labiaplasty. Best technique for Labiaplasty. Local anesthesia for Labiaplasty

By golly, you shouldn't!  Of course, if you have surgery done under a "General" (asleep!) or a spinal anesthetic, you won't feel anything, but that is a "big club" for a procedure (labiaplasty) which, IN SKILLED EXPERIENCED HANDS lends itself well to simple "LOCAL" under-the-skin anesthesia.  But, as my collegue Dr. Pelosi points out, just as labiaplasty surgery is an art, so in local anesthesia.

If done right, you will feel NO PAIN (other than occasional tugging or minor pressure) during the procedure.  There is, however, a bit of a trade-off for the simplicity, safety, and hassle-free aspects of "local:" It takes your surgeon ~ 30 seconds (literally) th place the anesthetic on each side and, even if the surgeon is careful, and "buffers" the anesthetic, it still stings quite a bit when the anesthetic is injected.  BUT-- as soon as it's in, you're numb.  Right away!  The sting only lasts a VERY short time and is- truly- not a "killer...."

Local is the way to go.   It also helps if your doc has a nurse or aide (like we do) to "hold your hand..." during the 30 seconds each side for the local.

Michael P Goodman MD