My eyes within the past 2-3 months have become extremely swollen underneath. What in the world can I do to fix this? (photo)

Can breastfeeding cause dehydration that in turn can cause my eyes to swell? What are my options to fix my under eyes? I have lost some weight lately can this cause this swelling? Can severe lack of sleep cause these swollen eyes?

Under eye swelling

Although your posted picture is of quite poor quality, it appears that you have some prolapse of lower eyelid fat. This happens with aging and can be worsened with fatigue, stress, other medical problems (like thyroid dysfunction). Given your age and good quality of lower eyelid skin, a transconjunctival (incision from within the lower eyelid) lower eyelid blepharoplasty with conservative excision of fat and possibly fat re-positioning would greatly improve the contour and appearance of the lower eyelids. Weight loss can make the lower eyelids look more hollow but if you lost volume in your cheeks, this may make the lower eyelids look more prominent if there was already some fat prolapse. Dehydration would cause things to look more sunken and not swollen. Good luck!

Danbury Oculoplastic Surgeon

Swollen under eyes is fat

You have under eye bags which is eye socket fat that has come forward with age.  A long term solution to under eye bags (orbital fat prolapse) is lower blepharoplasty, which is best done through inside eyelid (transconjunctival) approach with fat repositioning. (Another option that camouflages the bags but doesn't get rid of them is filler injection.)  See following video and link.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

The quality of the posted image is very poor.

It would be helpful to post an higher resolution photo of your lower eyelid concerns.  Generally no, breastfeeding does not cause dehydration that in turn causes eyelid swelling.  Severe lack of sleep and weight loss can affect how we look.  If you are clinically depressed which can occur after pregnancy, you should seek appropriate treatment.  Dehydration is generally a temporary situation.  It is not necessary to drink 8 glasses of water a day.  Speak to your personal physician about these concerns.  

Louisville resident

Great to hear your question. I lived in Louisville for three years so nice to hear from a local.So almost certainly what is happening is that you have lost volume from your cheeks. This combined with a little descent (drooping) of your cheek fatty pads leaves your lower eyelid looking exposed and empty. We call this tear trough deformity. The net can show you exactly what I mean. I bet it looks much better when you smile a full smile. My advice would be to first consider cheek filler to refill the tear trough. This works very well as a solution. There is undoubtedly a small element of eye lid bagginess too but I strongly suspect the tear trough is at fault. Hope that helps. Adam Goodwin