When get a drainless Tummy tuck, how many days should you wait to shower & how you wear binder?

Drainless tummy tuck

Please consult your PS for post-operative instructions.  Your PS will provide you will detailed instructions for your post-operative regimen.

Charleston Plastic Surgeon

After tummy tuck

This is a great question for your chosen PS- each of us has a slightly different post operative protocol that works well for our patients based on our experience. Best of luck, Dr. Meghan Nadeau, Seattle, WA

Meghan Nadeau, MD

Talk to your surgeon about after care with drainless tummy tuck

Really this is a question for your surgeon and no one on this site will advise you to do something other than what your own surgeon recommends. There are pros and cons to the drainless tummy tuck.

Richard Baxter, MD

Postop Instructions

Every surgeon will have his or her own postoperative regimen. It is important for you to follow the instructions of your surgeon and no one else. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Showering after a Tummy Tuck

I have my patients shower as soon as 48 hours after a Tummy Tuck regardless of drains. (People feel a heck of a lot better after they are clean) and there is no scientific reason to postpone it. As regards binders, I personally do not like them because some people apply them too tightly and they are not meant to fit the huge variety of figures women have. As a result, I would rather wait until the woman is ready and then we go through trying a variety of Spanx-like garments and pick the ones which fit the best. In this way we control the compression and the bit and try to avoid over compression and banding.Remember - Each surgeon is different and has different preferences. It would be wise to check with YOUR surgeon as to what he/she prefers.
Dr. Peter A. Aldea
Memphis, TN

These are very different between different surgeons, so you should ask your surgeon for specifics. In general, I allow patients to shower 48 hours after surgery and most patients will wear some form of compression garment for a couple of months.

Don W. Griffin, MD

When to shower aftea a tummy tuck (without drains)? How long to wear the binder?

It is usually ok to shower within the first few days after a drainless tummy tuck unless your surgeon gives you instructions to the contrary.  How long you should wear your binder varies between plastic surgeons but usually you can expect to wear it for 3-6 weeks after the procedure.  Discuss these questions with your plastic surgeon and good luck

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Each surgeon has her or his own preferences and reasons for individualized post op instructions. You should discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon, who should be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS), that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. It is important to follow all of his or her instructions.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California  

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for sharing your question.  Though always best to ask your operative surgeon for their recommendations as they know the details of your anticipated procedure best, if you have no drains you can likely shower within a day or two of surgery.  As far as your binder you should try and wear it at all times during the day to help minimize swelling of your tissues.  Hope this helps.