Breast implants. I'm 5'2", 110lbs, 32b. Would a small D cup look too big for my body? (Photo)

I'm 5'2 110 pounds 32b cup looking to go towards a small d cup. Would that look to big for my body? I want them to sit up without a bra.

Breast implants. I'm 5'2", 110lbs, 32b. Would a small D cup look too big for my body?

Thank you for the question.  Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures and direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror) will be critical.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery (regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as  “natural” or "small D cup” or "too big" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate. The use of computer imaging, may be very helpful during the communication process.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery ( after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers).  Viewing the patient's chest wall in the upright and supine positions, with temporary sizes in place, help select  the best breast implant size/profile for the specific patient.

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns), helps.

D cup?

You might be able to handle a large implants to get up to a "D" cup but it is hard to predict cup size based upon volume of implants.

Is a D cup too Big for me?

From your photos I can tell you would do best with both a lift and augmentation. A "D" cup to you may mean something else to other people. It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 350 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. . Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in a bit.

Additional critical decisions will also be made by your plastic surgeon such as: whether your implants will be above or below your pectoralis muscle. These choices are recommended to you based on the look you desire, the amount of sagging you may have, and other deciding factors. For more than 25 years, I have tried just about every method to best understand and achieve the patient’s optimal goal. The following is what I have found to be most accurate: To start with, I have found it most helpful for patients to bring in photos from my or other plastic surgeons’ websites to illustrate what they would like to look like. This gives me detailed standardized views and information both qualitative (shape, perkiness) and qualitative (size) and allows me to discuss with my patients how I can best achieve their objectives as well as realistic expectations. For example, though I always tell my patients that I cannot make them exactly the same as a photo because everyone has different anatomical constraints. However, these ”ideal” breast photos are brought to the operating room for reference during surgery so that I have the advantage of “seeing through my patient’s eyes” to best achieve their wishes. Even if the photo does not match their height or weight, I and most plastic surgeons are very good at translating the proportionality of the photo to your features.
I personally order more than one set of implant sizes and use sterile implant “sizers” (temporary implants) placed in the created implant pocket during surgery to know in advance exactly which implant would work best for you in both a sitting and lying down position. This also allows me the opportunity to modify the pocket to meet some of the more subtle shape features desired. This enables me to use my full artistic potential to achieve your desired goals.

Try on sizers before surgery

The decision about size is a very personal one.   You need to try sizers on and find the implant volume that fits your perception of the right size.

You can probably do fine with a small D look, but whatever size, you are going to need an areolar reduction and lift to get a result you will like.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

The best cosmetic result in any particular breast augmentation patient depends on a variety of factors, including: Your individual anatomy, realistic expectations, a thorough discussion with the plastic surgeon about the options, and an understanding of the pros and cons of any particular implant choice. Proper sizing is not just about the number of cc’s. The thickness of your tissue, breast dimensions which include the width, height, and projection, as well as chest wall width all need to be considered when choosing an implant. Trying on implant “sizers” of various shapes and volumes while wearing a tight t-shirt, bra, or bathing sit at a preoperative visit will help you and your surgeon choose the optimal implant.

There are no manufacturers' standards for cup sizing in the bra industry. The cups of a 32 D and a 38 D are significantly different. Cup size varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and even within styles from any particular manufacturer.

A patient with your anatomy would not get a good cosmetic result with implants alone without a breast lift.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Wants to be D cup

Thank you for your question about your breast augmentation.

1. Your photos suggest that your breasts are somewhat droopy (ptotic) and you will need a breast lift with or before a breast augmentation.
2. You are small - if you want larger than normal breasts (a "D" look) - selecting the right size implant is something that requires a face-to-face consultation with your plastic surgeon.
3. In choosing the implant, your surgeon will discuss the size that is likely to work best for you based on her/his examination of you, sizers and discussion of the look you want.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope this information helps. Best wishes.

Implant Size

You have two issues going on with your breast-inadequate volume compared to your desires, and sagging breast. An implant alone, no matter what size, will not correct your sagging. It will only increase your volume. It will take up some of the loose skin, but with your shape, you are going to need a breast lift as well. Seek a board certified plastic surgeon to consult with.
Good Luck

After reviewing your photos- it appears that you might benefit from mastopexy ( breast lift) in addition to augmentation with implants. Without breast lift-- it is impossible to achieve that perky look that you desire based on the photos you have provided. Size and style of implants is best determined during in person consultation during the sizing process.

Thank you for your question. First, based on your photos you have ptosis or sagging and the nipple appears to be below the fold under your breast. Because of this you likely will need a breast lift in addition to implants.

It is difficult to predict cup size becase different manufacturers label the same bra different cup sizes. A D cup will require a very large implant which may not be safe when done with a breast lift.

Please see a board certified plastic surgeon for a consult and sizing evaluation.