49 yr old female wanting a Breast reduction, lift, tummy tuck and possible liposuction. Any suggestions?

I am 49 yr old female and will be 50 next month. My concerns are at what age is too old or risky to have these procedures done and what are the possible life threatening complications that could possibly occur. My other concern is this fear of not waking up from the anesthesia. I really don't know if this has happened to any one, but I really do want to get this procedure done and need to overcome this fear. I don't smoke or drink and my over all health is pretty good. I don't take any meds.

Any suggestions.

Age isn't really an issue when you are talking about 49 years old. What is much more important is the presence of medical problems such as diabetes, heart disease etc...Anesthetic complications are very rare and highly unlikely for a young healthy person. I would advise meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon who after examining you can help you set the best plan in place to achieve your goals.

Thank you for your question.  Your age is of no concern so long as you do not have any health issues and risk factors, such as heart disease, smoking, hypertension, etc.  Of course all surgery carries its own risk of complications, but in experienced hands and under optimal circumstances these risks can be minimized.  I personally have done many combined mommy makeover procedures, combination breast reduction / tummy tuck and liposuction and I have never had a serious problem.  Some studies state that it is safer to do these procedures at different stages, but I see no need for that so long as you are in competent hands.  Here in California the State regulations limit outpatient surgery to 6 hours surgery time, it is similar in most states.  Also you have to make sure that the surgery center you are having the surgery in is certified by an accredited organization such as the State regulatory board, or Medicare, AAASF, or AAAASF.  As far as not waking up from anesthesia, the risk is less than being hit by a car when crossing the street.  Hope this helps.

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS

Surgery at 50

If you are healthy than you risks are no greater than someone a bit younger than you. Best of luck with your desire to move forward.

Mommy Makeover

The procedures that you are referring to are often done together and are referred to as a "Mommy Makeover". I would suggest that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss which procedures are right for you, your overall health and whether you are a good candidate to have them done at once. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Breast Reduction at 49

The combination of procedures you describe is commonly known as a mommy makeover and is one of the most patient pleasing procedures offered! Being in good health in the main criteria for surgery. Be sure to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who will be able to determine if you are a good candidate! Good luck.

Miguel Delgado, MD

Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon

You should definitely get a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon (or several) and allow them to answer these questions in person.  It will put your mind at ease to hear about the safety of these procedures when done in an accredited facility with a capable plastic surgeon and their team.  Anything we write in response over the internet may comfort you some, but nothing like speaking to someone in person.

Choose your surgeon carefully

What you're asking for is reasonable for someone in good health. Check with your board certified surgeon and even your primary care if they think you're healthy enough for this combined procedure. Probably about 5 hours. This combination is something I frequently do. Not waking up is more related to substandard medical care (especially anesthesia) than the length of the case. A good surgeon will only work with top of the line anesthesia. Joan Rivers case was only supposed to last 30 minutes. 

Donald W. Kress, MD, FACS
Frederick Plastic Surgeon

Not too old for cosmetic surgery

I find that age is not a useful barometer to gauge a patient's risk for complications from cosmetic surgery. Lack of smoking, good health without systemic illnesses and being near normal weight to me seem like better predictors of a good outcome. I reccommend you see a board certified plastic surgeon in your community and go over your desires and fears. Good luck. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

In my opinion, the age of the patient is not the ONLY determining factor when deciding if a patient can undergo elective surgery. I have many patients who are older but in great shape and therefore have no issues with having such surgery.
Visit with well experienced plastic surgeon's who can show you examples of their work so that you are comfortable with the process. Sometimes, I ask my older patients to get a medical clearance /EKG from their doctor letting me know that all is well to proceed with surgery.
Breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations I do and hopefully, the only regret you will have is "why you didn't do it sooner".
Best Wishes.

Breast Reduction

Firstly, no operation can be covered by a 100% guarantee. All operations are performed in the hope of helping a specific problem or curing a disease. Experience, judgement and surgical training allows Dr. Huq to recommend your operation as being suitable for your problem. The fact that Dr. Huq has recommended the operation means that there is a very good chance that the operation will help in taking care of the disorder that you have. Unfortunately, complications do occur and that is why you have to be aware of them. Fortunately, these rarely take place.

There are “material risks” that are faced in this decision to have an operation. Material Risks are those that pose a threat to your life, health or comfort. A disclosure of even minimal risk must be brought to your attention.

Any operation is an invasion of the body and thus exposes you to certain potential problems. Any operation may cause pain or discomfort for a period of time. A scar forms when the skin is cut and bleeding occasionally takes place under the skin or through the wound.

The risks of any operation under general or local anaesthesia include such things as sore throat, pneumonia, blood clots in veins which can travel to the lungs, stroke, heart attack, wound infection, skin breakdown, spreading scars (keloid), numbness or nerve injury or swelling.

Breast Reduction
Enhancing your appearance with breast reduction surgery

Overly large breasts can cause some women to have both health and emotional problems. In addition to self image issues, you may also experience physical pain and discomfort.

The weight of excess breast tissue can impair your ability to lead an active life. The emotional discomfort and self-consciousness often associated with having large pendulous breasts is as important an issue to many women as the physical discomfort and pain.

Also known as reduction mammaplasty, this procedure removes excess breast fat, glandular tissue and skin to achieve a breast size in proportion with your body and to alleviate the discomfort associated with overly large breasts.

Is it right for me?

Breast reduction is a highly individualized procedure and you should do it for yourself, not to fulfill someone else’s desires or to try to fit any sort of ideal image.

Breast reduction is a good option for you if:

. You are physically healthy
. You have realistic expectations
. You don’t smoke
. You are bothered by the feeling that your breasts are too large
. Your breasts limit your physical activity
. You experience back, neck and shoulder pain caused by the weight of your breasts
. You have regular indentations from bra straps that support heavy, pendulous breasts
. You have skin irritation beneath the breast crease
. Your breasts hang low and have stretched skin
. Your nipples rest below the breast crease when your breasts are unsupported
. You have enlarged areolas caused by stretched skin

Nasimul Huq, MD
Niagara Falls Plastic Surgeon