2 weeks post op Breast Augmentation and still can't sleep flat on back. Is this normal?

I'm 2 weeks and 2 days post op with silicone BA over the muscle. I am still having to sleep propped up on 4-5 pillows. When I try to sleep flat on my back and raise up in the morning, I have discomfort and it feels like stinging/pain all to the front of my breasts. I had areolar incision as well. The pain doesn't last long, less than a few minutes. Is this normal? When can I expect to sleep on my back again and not feel any pain?

Early post op pain

This is very normal.  Your tissues have been stretched and sleeping on your back will put your breasts on stretch as compared to sleeping on your side.  This will improve with time.

Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

I appreciate your question.

Right now, you are very early on in the post op recovery period. Everyone heals at different rates so what you are experiencing is quite normal. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Please Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you if need. I anticipate you should be able to sleep on your back in the next few weeks.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Pain post aug

If you have pain when you are trying to sit uo, that is normal at this time.  If your implants are submuscular, expect more pain for a longer period of time than if they are subglanduar.  Your doctor should be able to answer these questions for you.

Paul Silverstein, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Pain in breasts

It is not uncommon that different patients have different perceptions and tolerances of pain after breast augmentation. Having said that, most patients after a month or so should be back to normal activities of which sleeping would be included. Ask your plastic surgeon if muscle relaxers would help even though the implant is placed on top of the muscle. Sometimes I have found in my patients that they maintain a different body habits in the short term follow-up after breast augmentation and this gives them difficulty in sleeping. Certainly things will get better over the next few weeks good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation Post-Op Pain

Given how early you are in your recovery, yes, your pain is normal. It's not anything to worry about. It can take anywhere from 3-6 months for your new breasts to fully heal and settle/drop. However, if your pain gets worse, make an appointment to speak with your surgeon. My guess is that you should be able to sleep on your back within the next couple of weeks, but every patient heals at their own rate. 

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Pain after breast augmentation

Hi,

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you. It is important to remember that a board certified plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, and concerns.

Having said that, I am sorry to learn about your pain. It seems like you are having some nerve pain and maybe some muscle spasm. Sometimes after the surgery the patient does not move around a lot and things start to get tight and stiff. When this happens, there can be some aches. So really work on moving around, lifting your arms up and move the arms around. As for the positional pain, it could be nerve related and when the breast implants slides and hits the nerve it can cause a shooting pain towards your breast or even into your back. So do not worry, all of these pains will go away. If you feel something is wrong, you should absolutely call your PS.

Dr. Michael J. Brown
Northern Virginia Plastic Surgeon