Is a lift required for replacing larger implants to a smaller implant size? If so what type of surgery am I looking at?

I have 550cc silicone implants, after getting pregnant and breast feeding my boobs look sagging and gave stretch marks. I'd like to go smaller but have them perky and hopefully the stretch marks removed. My scars are underneath, implants under the muscle, the scars are thick and ugly too and would like to fix that as well. So is a lift required, and is there anyway to not have scars up the breast? Thank you!

Deciding on a Breast Lift with a Revision

The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.A #mastopexy or breast lift operation is designed to improve the shape and position of the breasts without reducing their size. It is the most suitable for #breasts which sag or droop (ptosis) as a result of development, aging, pregnancy, breast-feeding and weight loss . Some patients will experience better results to restore superior fullness if an #implant is used at the time of mastopexy; better known as #AugmentationMastopexy.
With both implant types there are choices when it comes to size, shape, and profile. The criteria best to suit you will be discussed in full detail at your breast augmentation consultation. Altogether, the surgery will create an elevated, more youthful breast contour. Also, the nipple and areolae of the desired size and correct heightmay also be addressed. I prefer to use a #shortscar technique, #LollipopScar or #DonutLift” rather than the majority of surgeons in the United States that use an anchor pattern lift which involve more significant scarring.The best method and #technique for your #procedures will be discussed in greater length during your one-on-one consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon.

Is Lift required for replacing larger implants to a smaller implant size? If so, what surgery needed?

You definitely need a consultation and examination by a board-certified plastic surgeon, preferably one who is experienced in breast implant surgery, in order to answer your questions accurately and satisfactorily for you.  There are many options possible and the best one for you can only be determined by consultation and examination.

Thank you for the question. Based on your question, I think you may already have a very good understanding of what might be involved with downsizing of breast implants.  

Adjustment of the breast implant pockets (capsulorrhaphy) may be necessary to achieve the outcome you are looking for. Depending on your physical examination, additional "maneuvers" such as breast lifting may (or may not) be necessary.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering revisionary (downsizing) breast augmentation surgery is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. I think that this will be the most important decision you make. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “down a cup size” or "C cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your chosen plastic surgeon to work with you in determining the best plan to achieve your goals.

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to downsizing breast implants surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.

Is a lift required for replacing larger implants to a smaller implant size?

Thank you for your question. The answer to your question, unfortunately, completely depends on the current status of your breasts based on examination, or at least photographs. While it is possible for some women to decrease the size of their breast implants without requiring a lift, that is not always the case. I recommend a full evaluation by a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options. Best wishes!

Downsizing implants after pregnancy is a lift needed

It is impossible to answer your question adequately without an examination and further discussion.  Briefly, it depends on multiple factors: how much you downsize your implants, how much stretched out skin you have, amount of breast tissue, current placement of the implant, any issues with the capsule (thick, deformed), and more.  
Current scars can be revised.  If a lift is required, it typically is around the areola, and may extend down vertically, and/or across the fold.  the incision length is determined by the amount of skin that has to be "re-tailored" around the new breast shape. 

Definitely make an in-person consultation with a ABPS board certified PS to evaluate you and discuss your options.
Hope that helps and best wishes!
Dr. Morales
ABPS Board Certified
Houston, Tx

Rolando Morales Jr, MD

Thank you for your question.  When a patient goes from a larger implant to a significantly smaller one the trade off is excess loose skin.  Yes, some patients skin may retract but if one has stretch marks and loose skin with a large implant it will not shrink once that implant goes smaller.  Unfortunately, the best way to tighten up the breast is with a vertical skin excision.  There are numerous ways of doing a lift and making corrections therefore, I would recommend seeing a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has experience with this area. After your consultation they should be able to let you know your options. Once you know your options then you can decide if it makes sense to have surgery.  Good luck.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon